Connect with us

Switching between two Inductors

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by GrizzlyBear, Jul 31, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. GrizzlyBear

GrizzlyBear

Jul 31, 2013
    Hello everyone, this is my first post and I am fairly new in tinkering with electronics.

I am currently rigging up my guitar effects pedal (a wah-wah pedal) to switch between two inductors. Before, the original inductor wasn't working, this yielded a volume pedal more than a wah wah pedal.

After fixing/replacing it, I decided I wanted to keep the bad inductor in the circuit.

I want to create a switch between two inductors.

This is the schematic >>> http://www.voxamps.com/downloads/circuits/wahwah93.jpg
    The 500mh inductor is L1

Here are some of my questions,
    1.) What are the effects of inductors coupling? Will there be any major effects when these two inductors couple?

2.) Should I be wary of the winding of these inductors? If so, how can I make sure the windings will be in unison?

And lastly (not a question) this is how I was thinking about rigging up the circuit.

Have wires connecting from the PCB (where the inductors should be) to one terminal of the SWITCH, then to the INDUCTOR #1, and then back to the PCB.

Likewise for INDUCTOR#2.

Please let me know what you guys/gals think and feel free to offer any advice.

Thanks.

2. GrizzlyBear

GrizzlyBear

Jul 31, 2013
  3. CDRIVE

CDRIVE Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3

May 8, 2012
    Your schematic has issues which I'm sure you didn't intend. Logically your inductor ends are not connected to the same point on the PCB but that's what your schematic indicates. You will be usinging a single pole double throw (SPDT) switch. The common of the switch should be connected to the board where one end of the inductor (L1) originally was connected. So one end of L1 is now hanging in the air. Connect this end to one throw terminal of the switch. One end of the second inductor is connected to the same point as L1 that's still has one end connected to the PCB. The other end of the second inductor (L2) gets connected to the other throw terminal of the switch.

Chris

Ask a Question