Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Switching a RF signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

atom78

Aug 20, 2018
Hey guys,

I need to switch a 400-690 MHz signal. The signal is received in an antenna and go through the coaxial cable. The idea is switch the signal, turning it on and off (letting it pass or not) as necessary. I´m using a microcontroller, and I think in doing it with an optoacoupler or a transistor as switch. Anyone know some model of this components that can work well at this level of frequency?

Thanks!

Ylli

Jun 19, 2018
I'd suggest a Minicircuits part. So my post to you in the other forum,

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Hi ya
welcome to EP :)

Hey guys,

I need to switch a 400-690 MHz signal. The signal is received in an antenna and go through the coaxial cable. The idea is switch the signal, turning it on and off (letting it pass or not) as necessary. I´m using a microcontroller, and I think in doing it with an optoacoupler or a transistor as switch. Anyone know some model of this components that can work well at this level of frequency?

Thanks!

optocoupler or transistor, no

firstly what power level ??

I'd suggest a Minicircuits part. So my post to you in the other forum,

agreed, mini-circuits do have some good UHF and microwave switches

https://www.minicircuits.com/WebStore/Switches.html

Dave

WHONOES

May 20, 2017
Agree with Kelly_eye. Did something similar many years ago switching multiple sources into one receiver. Coax in Coax out. Works a treat with minimal losses or signal corruption.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
OP states that it is a signal from an aerial
The signal is received in an antenna and go through the coaxial cable.
..where either very low levels (receive) are concerned or higher levels (transmit) are to be dealt with. In either circumstance the best i.e. lowest loss device will be a relay.

WHONOES

May 20, 2017

..where either very low levels (receive) are concerned or higher levels (transmit) are to be dealt with. In either circumstance the best i.e. lowest loss device will be a relay.
Absolutely.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009

Absolutely.

you both still missed the possible point hahaha

where the signal comes from is irrelevent

it's still not established whether the relay needs to be PCB or otherwise mounted

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
I've looked at some of the data sheets for the solid state devices - many (most) are 5mm2 and have 0.5mm pin pitch :eek:..... these would require special(ist) pcb manufacture/design and/or mounting/servicing tools.

Whilst I don't object to using them (horses for courses) I did specify the KISS principle and mounting a small relay off board with suitable plug-in connectors would be pretty 'simple' - making my KISS principle quite valid.

But, yes, let's hear from the OP........

WHONOES

May 20, 2017
I've looked at some of the data sheets for the solid state devices - many (most) are 5mm2 and have 0.5mm pin pitch :eek:..... these would require special(ist) pcb manufacture/design and/or mounting/servicing tools.

Whilst I don't object to using them (horses for courses) I did specify the KISS principle and mounting a small relay off board with suitable plug-in connectors would be pretty 'simple' - making my KISS principle quite valid.

But, yes, let's hear from the OP........
Agree with you. Relays on a pcb would require transmission lines for proper integration. Ok if you know how to design them correctly.
Like you, I have always subscribed to the KISS principle. For those who may not be familiar with the acronym it means Keep It Simple Stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.