Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Switches

kingofjong

Aug 14, 2014
Hi

I was wondering is it possible to connect 4 outputs to one switch. For example you have 4 inverters that you need to connect to the 2 inputs of 2 or gates (4 inputs total). How would I connect the inverter to all those inputs using one switch such that when I flick the switch on it lets all the inverters release there current at the same time. Is there A device that can do this. An example schematic is bellow.

upload_2018-5-23_8-18-2.png

Thanks

timff

Apr 13, 2018
You may want to use two input nand gates instead of inverters. This would allow you to gang together one of the inputs to each nand gate to act as a group enable.

WHONOES

May 20, 2017
You may want to use two input nand gates instead of inverters. This would allow you to gang together one of the inputs to each nand gate to act as a group enable.
Makes sense.

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
A 4PDT (four pole double throw) switch will do this. But for either this or using gates, you need to define what states you want the four inputs the inverters are driving to see when the inverters are disconnected. You cannot just let the inputs float; they need to have a defined state, high or low, at all times.

For each of the inverter replacements, if you use a NAND gate the output will go high in the "off" state. If you use a NOR gates, the output will go low in the off state. With a 4PDT switch, you can wire each pole section to be either high or low in the off state.

Note that switch contacts "bounce". That is, they do not just open or close cleanly. particularly when closing, the contacts bounce together and apart a few times in a few milliseconds before settling down. This can cause false input signals downstream.

ak

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
If you simply want to set the level of an inverter via a switch, what is the inverter there for? I don't think you have fully described what it is you are trying to do.

Bob