Connect with us

Switch Types

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Rich18144, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Rich18144

Rich18144

Aug 21, 2012
    Hey guys,

A quick question for you. I am looking for a fairly basic switch that can wirelessly be activated on passing a certain point, remain on until it passes the same point. Kinda like a reed switch that stays on.

Thanks for your time,

Rich

2. GreenGiant

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
    any relay/transistor could do this with the right circuitry, but you should try googling "lap timers" and things of that nature

3. Rich18144

Rich18144

Aug 21, 2012
    Hi,

Thanks for the information Green Giant - I will admit I am almost a complete beginner with electronics. Perhaps if I explain the exact situation I can be a little clearer.

I am in the process of planning a Model Railway Layout that uses a DCC controlling method. This results in a constant flow of electricity passing through the rails, as opposed to the old style (DC) layouts which altered the flow of electricity passing through the rails to control the trains.

I have a few coaches that use the old DC style layout. They have, within them, a series of LEDs that are controlled using the rail current. As DCC uses a constant current, the lights in the coaches will be lit no matter if they are or aren't in motion.

As a result, I intend on having a portion of track that contains the coaches along with some form of wireless switching system, so that when the locomotive pulls them out of the siding the switches activate the lights in the coaches. When I am done with the coaches, I would return them to the siding, passing the switch activator again, turning the lights off.

That is the type of switch I am looking for.

Would the relay/transistor system still work for this?

Thank you for your time,

Rich

4. GreenGiant

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
    you would need some sort of light sensing system, this tied to a relay would work well

I still think that if you used a light gate sensor and gutted it you would have an easier time than trying to build/piece together your own
    usually they will have an LED that lights once its been triggered, using that signal you could try to pull it out and run it to a transistor, and have that turn on the power to the track, then once it passes again it would shut it off

Assuming that there are multiple cars that you are going to want to pass this at a time building it on your own would be difficult, but doable

5. gorgon

gorgon

Jun 6, 2011
    If I understand you correct this is to activate something inside the coaches?
    How about something as simple as a magnet on the outside, activating 2 reed switches, one after the other. The direction of the activation will determine the sequence. Connect each reed switch to the 'set' and 'reset' input on any type of flipflop and you will have your on/off control of the lights. If the last switch to be activated is the 'on' or 'set' input, the flipflop is turned on, activating the lights, and of the last switch to be activated is the 'off' or 'reset' input, the flipflop is turned off, deactivating the lights. 2 transistors and some resistors is enough to make a flipflop.

If you make 2 parallel reed switches for each switch, and place them in the correct order on each side of the coach, it will be independent of the orientation of the coach itself on the tracks, as long as the magnet is placed on one side.

Just a simple idea, before bedtime :D

TOK ;)

Ask a Question