Connect with us

switch to detect movement of a wheel

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by R31VER, Sep 29, 2015.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. R31VER

R31VER

Sep 29, 2015
    I am looking for some sort of device / switch to detect if a bicycle is moving. Ideally when the bike starts to move the switch goes to on then when movement has ceased for a set period of time (may be 1 to 5 minutes) the switch would reset itself to off. (would be looking for a capacity of 5v at 500ma)

I had thought I would find some sort of switch similar to how a bicycle computer works, this picks up a pulse from a reed type sensor on the wheel and starts the timer and when the wheel comes to rest the timer is stopped.

Ideally I would like some off the shelf component rather than building my own circuit however advise on either would be much appreciated. Or indeed any other sort of work around.

I am not wishing to fit a dynamo as it would not only seem a bit overkill but that would not give me the "ON" period after movement had stopped.

2. Bluejets

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
    How much movement do you require before the timer starts..?
    A magnet on the wheel (or several) will work with a reed switch but will require a certain amount of movement depending on the former.
    An emitter/detector IR led combination should pick up each spoke for better resolution.
    Connect to the trigger input of a 555 timer monostable.
    Talking electronics has many free 555 circuits to get you started.

http://www.talkingelectronics.com/projects/50 - 555 Circuits/50 - 555 Circuits.html

3. AnalogKid

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
    What power is available for the module?
    Is a relay acceptable for the switch? How about a power transistor?
    Size or weight restrictions?
    Weatherproof requirement?

ak

4. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
Ask a Question