Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Switch to bypass ribbon cable (turn off and on)

meadnite

Jan 28, 2017
image2.JPG image1.JPG Hello,

I have a Frigidaire 154815601gallery series dishwasher with a defective control touch panel which can make the unit behave erratically at anytime, even when it is not running a wash cycle. However, after starting a wash cycle and then immediately disconnecting the ribbon cable that is connected to the control panel the washer works flawlessly.

Can you recommend how I might bypass this cable/control touch panel instead of having to dismantle the front of the washer to unplug the cable when I need to run the washer? I was thinking of some kind of switch between the touch panel and the control board at the ribbon cable connection that I could control on the front of the washer. Is this possible? It would be so wonderful if this could be done as I haven't washed dishes in it no more than a couple dozen times. Touch control panels cost $160 which I'm reluctant to purchase as this one is practically brand new.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
I'd seriously consider trying to solve the basic problem. It MAY be your control panel circuitry, but it may very
well be the touch panel contacts themselves. Did you spill any soap or water or greasy dirt muck on it that might have leaked-in around the edges and be giving you intermittent electrical contact? Getting a can of spray can 'contact cleaner' from
an electrical parts supply store and spraying the control panel out may solve your problem (UNPLUG THE UNIT FROM THE WALL SOCKET IF YOU DO THIS).
If you actually want to 'switch' the ribbon cable, what you'd want is a multi-ganged 'DIP (Dual In-Line Package) Switch' assembly. But you'd need to build an interface card for that (which probably isn't what you can or want to do).
There is no one switch that will switch all those contacts for your ribbon cable.
I'd try to fix the basic problem by contact-spraying-out the electrical control panel first.

meadnite

Jan 28, 2017
Thank You shrtrnd and Happy New Year. I deeply appreciate you giving you expert opinion on this. Apologies for the late reply (two hurricanes, one house move and two jobs made for some challenges in 2017).

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
This thread is almost 1 year old, but the device still might be in warranty. If the dealer won't agree, contact the factory directly. They always want to know about infant mortality issues, and might foot the bill for the repair. Also, yours might not be the only one and there is a free retrofit available.

ak