Connect with us

Switch Problem

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by squibt, Oct 25, 2012.

1. squibt

squibt

Oct 25, 2012
    Hello all,

I have a small issue with a heating pad that I hope someone could help with. I recived the pad in a non-working condition (new) but hate to throw it out. No heat on either the high or low setting. The switch seems to be working so I figure it may be the wiring was attached incorrectly. The switch is a rocker CRTL 30x10 and a diode (MCI HER208) is attached to the wires on the load side....see attached picture. I tested the switch with an ohm meter and get 1.5 on both terminals 2-1 and 1-3. Not an electrician here so I am stumped. The switch does light up when powered but no heat is generated at the pad. Any idea how this should be wired?

Thanx, Tim

Attached Files:

2. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    Do you have resistance in the heating elements themselves, or an open circuit?

3. squibt

squibt

Oct 25, 2012
    Hi shrtrnd,

With my $15 tester I get 7.0 ohms across the diode and around 60.0 ohms on the 2 load side wire ends that exit the pad elements

4. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    Take some electrical tape and connect the two 'stars' together, make sure to wrap any other bare metal in tape as well (the other connectors and diode) so that you don't welcome Mr. Sparky into your life... Plug it in, if it works it's the switch if it doesn't it's something else...

Beware you are working with potentioally lethal voltage levels, this is only for a quick test, and as I said make sure that all exposed metal is covered in tape so that you don't inadvertently shock yourself or short something out...

Attached Files:

5. squibt

squibt

Oct 25, 2012
    Hey Coca,

Did as you asked....looks like it is the element in the pad. I made sure power was going thru the wires but no luck...no heat. The company actually sent me another heating pad and it has the same problem. They returned my cash and said scrap the pads. Looks like that's where they are going. Thanx for your help guys.

Ask a Question