Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Switch help for my 737 simulator

gkkes

Jan 9, 2017
Hello all

I am considering and searching for a solution to recreating the engine start switches on my Boeing cockpit simulator. As part of the engine start panel in the main overhead there are two 4 position spring return rotary switches (30*). These takes the form of:

11 o'clock - GND - Engine ignition
12 o'clock - OFF
1 o'clock - CONT Continuous ignition (wet & landing)
2 o'clock - FLT - standby position.

Normal startup operation begins by switching from OFF to GND, where it is held on a spring and latch/detent. Once a certain engine fan speed is reached, the hold is released and the rotary springs to the OFF position. CONT and FLT position are normally selectable.

I feel sure that this might be easily achieved with a simple pull or push solenoid pushing the spring latch over its detent. This is easily triggered by my software. Power is available nearby.

I'm hoping someone may be aware of a spring latch assembly, even an alternative method. There are commercially made units around, but these are price restrictive.

Any help warmly appreciated.

Last edited:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
You might try looking for a 4 position rotary switch with one position momentary.

Whether or not you can get one off the shelf is another thing.

gkkes

Jan 9, 2017
Thanks Steve.
The computer reads the position of the switch and starts the simulation simply by a single closure (ie switch state) and reacts when the switch is operated and moved, as a momentary switch would. I can easily move the switch manually back to OFF at the correct time, but I really want to mimic the real behaviour of the switch.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
If you can figure out the ratchets and automatic locks, the switch part should be easy using lever switches and a cam.

Bob