Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Switch for oscillator (and some book recommendations too)

CiaranM

May 19, 2012
hi there, I'm going to make a triangle oscillator, and it needs to be able to switch between 3 ratings of capacitor to provide different frequency ranges. The switch should have 3 inputs, 1 output, and be able to select each input, of course. Do you know what switch I should look for? I don't exactly understand all the types of switches, or the terminology used to describe their action.

On a different note, do you know of any books that regard the building of an analogue synthesizer? I really want to learn how to build one. Any names of books that have schematics & descriptions of effects devices would also be appreciated!

Thanks for your help.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
hi CiaranM
welcome to the forums :)

you want a 1 pole 3 position rotary switch, maplin farnell etc should be able to supply for you

analog synthesiser ? are we talking music or RF ?

Dave

CiaranM

May 19, 2012
thanks! OK, rotary switch then, that'll help, thanks!
I'm talking about a synthesizer for music.
I just remembered another issue, I want to be able to plug in an audio cable to the oscillator, what component should I look for?

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
You can also use a 'Single Pole - Double Throw - Center Off' (SPDTCO) toggle switch. They're easer to find than a rotary switch. Cheaper too! ;)

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
You can also use a 'Single Pole - Double Throw - Center Off' (SPDTCO) toggle switch. They're easer to find than a rotary switch. Cheaper too! ;)
Not sure how you are planning to get 3 levels that way. I suppose you could put the smallest capacitor on by default and have the other two positions add one in parallel. But it would be odd having the lowest value in the center.

Bob

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
Yes and Yes.

CiaranM

May 19, 2012
thanks for your help. I bought a rather overpriced 4 pole 3 way rotary switch from Maplin. Its the best I could get. Should I superglue it to the stripboard to hold it in place?
two more questions:
- do you know of any books regarding creation of an an analogue synthesizer (audio range)?
- what specific component could I get that would allow me to plug audio cables into a circuit? I've looked up 'audio sockets', didn't get anything useful though

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
- what specific component could I get that would allow me to plug audio cables into a circuit? I've looked up 'audio sockets', didn't get anything useful though

'phono jack' or 'RCA jack' will be the most common consumer ones...

CiaranM

May 19, 2012
that's just what I was looking for, thanks!
why is it that some of the audio connectors have more than 3 pins? I'm assuming that 3 pins are used for +V, -V, and ground, so why the extra pins?

CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
that's just what I was looking for, thanks!
why is it that some of the audio connectors have more than 3 pins? I'm assuming that 3 pins are used for +V, -V, and ground, so why the extra pins?

Three pin phone plugs/connectors are stereo. They can be used for mono too. In fact, if mono is all that's needed, a stereo phone plug can be plugged into a mono jack but a mono phone plug should not be plugged into a stereo jack. Have I confused you yet? :confused::D I think I just confused myself! :rolleyes:

Oops! I didn't answer your question. On a mono plug the center pin (TIP) is audio. The outer tube, the long part, is common or ground called the Ring.. On a stereo plug the arrangement is Tip, Ring1, Ring2. The Tip is audio1 the Ring closest to the tip is audio2 and the long Ring is common or ground.

BTW, there are now phone plugs with 3 & 4 Rings. These plugs typically use the some of the Rings for control circuits.

I would not recommend Phone Plugs of any sort for DC or AC power applications.

Last edited: