Maker Pro
Maker Pro

switch for battery and power supply

credfern8807

Mar 11, 2011
Im building a small stereo system that utilizes a car stereo receiver to power the speakers. I would like to select between a battery and a power supply unit (for when I have an outlet as to not waste battery) to power the system. My questions are 1) can i put a switch between the power supply and battery to select the power source to the receiver and 2) exactly what kind of switch do i need to do this?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
after some research, i found this site: http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/components/switch.htm. From what i see, the switch i need is a spdt or changeover switch. Is this correct and/or is there also a special type of this particular switch?

That is correct.

You will need a switch that is rated for the voltage (12V is low, so no trouble there), and a DC current greater than that used by the device.

If you can't determine the current required (watts / voltage is one way) then use a switch with a rating similar to the fuse. A larger rating will always be safe, but also large, possibly more expensive, and clunky looking)

credfern8807

Mar 11, 2011
alright thanks a lot! just to be sure... i need a switch with a rating larger than the fuse on the stereo (i think its 10 or 15)?