Connect with us

Switch box for Range Hood

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Dad, Oct 22, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Dad

Dad

Oct 22, 2013
    Hi

I don't have a background in electronics, but understand a thing or two and am quite 'handy', so not a complete noob.

I bought a relatively cheap (but still expensive!) kitchen island range hood eight years ago and it stopped working. The fan, the structure, etc, are all fine. It really just boild down to some relatively simple electronics that have stopped working. Rather than spend $4,000 on a new one (it's a big range hood!) and go through all the hassle of reinstalling, I would rather simply replace the electronics inside. Problem is, I can't track down the vendor (who could, I'm assuming, simply send me new stuff that I could easily hook up.

If anyone might be able to help advise as to how I might go about doing this, I'd be *REALLY* grateful. It's a pretty simple function, and I can send pictures if it might help. There are five buttons which control fan speed, fan duration (although I don't really care about that) and two lights...

Many thanks,

Dominic

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    A solution that requires your "handiness" but doesn't involve you delving deeply into electronics sounds like the best solution.

My advice would be to replace the control box, fan, and electronics with something that you can understand and service yourself.

This may be a separate fan with speed control and a light system with varying light levels (a dimer?).

Perhaps you can retain the existing fan and lights if they are OK.

The problem with retrofitting something to the original box and buttons is that it may be really hard to make it fit or to use exactly the same controls.

Some fans can be controlled from a light dimmer (there are special ones for inductive loads, or get one rated for a MUCH higher capacity load)

Ask a Question