Connect with us

Swamp cooler switch

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Roachburn, Jul 2, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Roachburn

Roachburn

Jul 2, 2013
    Hello,
    I am trying to build a circuit for my swamp cooler but I am unsure as to which components to use. As of now my swamp cooler is controlled by 2 light switches. One controls the fan and the other the pump. What type of relay should I use? I want to be able to switch the swamp cooler on by either a low current dc switch or using a micro controller such as the arduino. I need a relay that latches when a current is sent to it. Could someone please show me a schematic that would accomplish this? please spare me the safety lecture. I have learned quite a bit about dc voltage and micro-controllers but I lack experience with mains voltage. Also I live in the US so the AC voltages I will be working with are 110v. I have equipment to ensure that the mains voltage is off when I hook this all up I just need some help deciding what components to use. Also I would like to use the AC in the switch to power the DC circuit so I don't have to use batteries. Can someone help me in creating this circuit? I also need it to be safe.
    Thanks.

2. Laplace

Laplace

Apr 4, 2010
    All the swamp coolers I am familiar with have a dual-speed motor, so the swamp cooler switch is multi-position with the following control states: OFF/LOW-VENT/HIGH-VENT/LOW-COOL/HIGH-COOL/PUMP-ONLY

So is your fan single or dual speed?

3. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    The motors I've seen are capable of low and high speed. But a lot of the wiring I've seen
    in houses just bypasses the low speed, and use a single switch to run the motor on
    high only.
    The pump switch is separate so you can turn the pump on, and let the water saturate the
    cooling pads before you turn on the fan to blow the air into the house.
    I'm just confused about what Rachburn is trying to do. Is this a desire to run the evap
    from a low voltage DC controller, as-in computer remote control of the evap?
    Or is this circuit supposed to fulfill some other purpose.
    It doesn't get much easier than throwing two switches to turn-on the evap.
    Are you trying to turn it on using a remote? Like for a timer or from your computer at
    the office before you get home?

4. Roachburn

Roachburn

Jul 2, 2013
    I think the swamp cooler is just one speed. All I want to do is send a 5v signal from a microcontroller to turn on both the pump and fan via a relay and I dont want the 5v to have to remain on. any tips?

5. Roachburn

Roachburn

Jul 2, 2013
    The thing is that I am pretty new to electronics and as of now I have only really worked with DC. I was looking for a project that I could work with relays and mains voltage and also make something useful for once. I will either use a remote or tempeture to turn on the swamp cooler but that is something I could figure out. how do I go from the 5v circuit the micro controller uses to the AC voltage for the cooler. Any tips on the circuit, parts and safety is welcome.

6. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    Been out of town for the holiday long-weekend.
    You just need a 5vdc relay (maybe two if you want the pump and motor on separate
    control circuits).
    Ensure that the relay contacts will handle the amperage and are rated at the 120VAC
    for the evap.
    Send the signal through your controller to trip the 5vdc relay. It'll close the relay contacts
    supplying the 120VAC to the evap.
    Both the pump and the evap motor will have separate fuses. Make sure you run your
    power through those fuses, in case anything goes wrong with the evap pump or motor.
    Good luck with the project.

Ask a Question