Connect with us

Supercapacitor Based 5 minutes Fast USB Charger

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Kedar264, May 3, 2015.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Kedar264

Kedar264

May 3, 2015
    A 2.7 v 500 farad supercapacitor can be charged in 5 minutes, if provided with 3A charging current,after that charging cell phone for 30 to 50% battery level is possible.
    The next level is then to step up the voltage upto 5 volts with minimum 500 ma for usable applications
    To make use of supercapacitor at its best i found power management solutions ic from linear technology "LTC 3108 & LTC 3105", which can work with 20 mv input!!!
    Here's my video ,check out and let me know your better suggestions.

2. KJ6EAD

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
    It doesn't matter if you have a super capacitor, a plug-in charger or a direct connection to the sun; the most you can push through a micro USB connector is around 2A. At that rate, a typical smart phone could be charged in 20-30 minutes. That's about what I get with the "turbo" charger that came with my phone. To charge in 5 minutes would require 10A or more.

Arouse1973, hevans1944 and davenn like this.
  3. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    Read the OP again, he is not talking about charging the phone in 5 minutes, he is talking about charging the supercap in 5 min.

Bob

davenn likes this.
  4. KJ6EAD

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
    His post is titled "Supercapacitor Based 5 minutes Fast USB Charger" and his video is titled "How To Charge Your Phone in 5 Minutes…"

What nuance of opposite meaning am I missing?

Last edited: May 14, 2015
  5. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009

granted his video etc say the opposite to his opening statement
    as usual poor OP wording causes lots of confusion :rolleyes:

Ask a Question