Connect with us

Super-efficient LED Flasher

Discussion in 'LEDs and Optoelectronics' started by Raven Luni, Feb 4, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Raven Luni

Raven Luni

Oct 15, 2011
    Greetings,

I came up with this while experimenting and thought it was worth sharing. Its a variation on a joule thief using an LC tank. I got the idea from a site by another of these 'over-unity' crackpots but the LC idea intrigued me so I decided to experiment.

This actually seems to be alot more efficient than a standard joule thief and will run off a 1F capacitor for a good couple of hours without a load. The LED flashes about once a sec and stops when the voltage gets down to about 1.5V (this is by design since this is the level I was aiming at for my memory backup circuit and this is a perfect power indicator. If you take out or change the LED side capacitors it will keep going almost to 0. Even if you short the capacitor for seceral seconds the whole thing still starts up again after a while with the tiny voltage remaining - I'm guessing this is thanks to the LC tank)

[​IMG]

Ask a Question