Maker Pro
Maker Pro

sun tracker part list

conntaxman

Jun 17, 2011
Im planing to build this sun tracker and it looks like the part list is wrong.It says they use 1 -LM339 operational amplifer. I count 4. is that correct? [4].
Another this is ,what dose this mean in the schematic. -<<- Never seen that symbol. Here is the link for the pic and part list.
http://phoenixnavigation.com/ptbc/articles/ptbc55.htm
Tks
John

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Im planing to build this sun tracker and it looks like the part list is wrong.It says they use 1 -LM339 operational amplifer. I count 4. is that correct? [4].
Another this is ,what dose this mean in the schematic. -<<- Never seen that symbol. Here is the link for the pic and part list.
Tks
John

hey John,

yes there are 4 op amps BUT they are all in one package ie. the LM339 is a quad op-amp :)

the << symbol is indicating a plug / socket for connecting components.... motors, switches, lamps etc off the main board

cheers
Dave

conntaxman

Jun 17, 2011
solar tracker

hey John,

yes there are 4 op amps BUT they are all in one package ie. the LM339 is a quad op-amp :)

the << symbol is indicating a plug / socket for connecting components.... motors, switches, lamps etc off the main board

cheers
Dave
Dave, thank you very much.Ive been away from building small cir. soooo long, and i think they added some new sym.
tks
John

conntaxman

Jun 17, 2011
sun tracker

davenn could you help exp these questions. in the sun tracker scamatic http://phoenixnavigation.com/ptbc/articles/ptbc55.htm
are all the 9v connections [i count 9] not including the one from the 7809 reg. connected to 9vdc.
So to start with, would the 9+ volt power source be coming from the 7809 reg,and then going to the SW3 and from that switch would I get the 9v to feed all the other 9+ connections.Like Top left, to feed PC1 and PC2, then to the right of that the 3 other 9v connections. Then also LOWER LEFT the 9v to feed VR2 then to the right of vr2 the other 3 9v.
It looks like the cir. is being feed with 9v and to feed the motor is the 12v through the relays.
Also if West PC1 and East PC2 are photo cells, how could they be feeding them with 9v? photo cells Make current of their own, wouldn't that burn the photo cells up?
Thanks
John

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
are all the 9v connections [i count 9] not including the one from the 7809 reg. connected to 9vdc.

Yes, but the one connected to the regulator is also included, because that's where the 9V is coming from.

So to start with, would the 9+ volt power source be coming from the 7809 reg,and then going to the SW3 and from that switch would I get the 9v to feed all the other 9+ connections.
No, they're just all connected together, pretty much in any order that seems reasonable.

There is no switch in there, otherwise it would be shown. (Well, there are switches thee, but thet're not between the regulated output and the rest of the circuit.)

It looks like the cir. is being feed with 9v and to feed the motor is the 12v through the relays.
Yep, that's right. In addition, the relays themselves are powered from the 12V.

Also if West PC1 and East PC2 are photo cells, how could they be feeding them with 9v? photo cells Make current of their own, wouldn't that burn the photo cells up?
No,these are light sensitive resistors. They change resistance with light level.

Their resistance never gets so low that placing 9V across them would be an issue. In any case there's a potentiometer in series with them and it would not be set all the way down to 0 ohms (the circuit wouldn't work if you did).

So, no. Nothing's going to burn up.

nbw

May 8, 2011
You could also use 2 x LM393 if you have a couple lying around? 2 in each IC.

conntaxman

Jun 17, 2011
sun tracker

Steve tks for getting back to me with the answers. I think that I bought a wrong part to use as West and East pc1 and pc2. I bought from allied 2 photo cell,here is the link.http://www.alliedelec.com/search/productdetail.aspx?SKU=9800010
Are these the wrong ones?
If they are I wonder if radio shack has what I need for pc1 and pc2, I would hate to order them and wait for them to come in,as all the other parts will be in about tuesday.
Thanks for all the help guys.
Great guys.
John

conntaxman

Jun 17, 2011
solar tracker

I found the resistor photo cell, they still have them at radio shack.

conntaxman

Jun 17, 2011
Hello Im stumped,frustrated. I put the cir together for the sun tracker, and powered it up ,No smoke or nothing.It seemes not to be working.when I connect the 12vdc to it,the relay for the east will energize, also the LED i think it was the same side "east will blink. I just have the Led's laying on the table.I put my hand over each photo res. one at a time and nothing happened, then I covered both photo res. and nothing.
I checked each part placement about 3 times before soldering it up, so I';m pretty sure all the parts are in correct.
The 2 "1n4004" I have the line side connected to the 12vdc.
The relays DPDT . i have the feed for the contacts connected to the center and the motor wires connected to the NO. side.
Could someone tell me what the reason for the "1n4004" is that he connected / inbetween to the relay coil.
I tried turning the pots and that didn't do anything.
I dont have the west and east limit sw. in, anyway their in the open posistion.
I cant think of any more to tell ya.
oh Im getting 9 vdc from the 7809
before i forget, the C3 [1000uf ] is one of those very very small capacitors, I had to solder wire on each of the ends ,its only about 3/16 long and 1/16 high/flat.
Thank you very much, Im just going nuts. I know that its a small cir.but I don't do this kind of stuff all the time,Im retired [63 yr]
again tks
John
oh here is the link again

Last edited:

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
before i forget, the C3 [1000uf ] is one of those very very small capacitors, I had to solder wire on each of the ends ,its only about 3/16 long and 1/16 high/flat.

did you know ..... ?
1000uf capacitors are relatively large an inch or so long 1/2 inch diam or bigger depending on voltage rating thay are available with long wire leads almost 2 inches long
and are readily available like that :)

cheers
Dave

conntaxman

Jun 17, 2011
capacitor

did you know ..... ?
1000uf capacitors are relatively large an inch or so long 1/2 inch diam or bigger depending on voltage rating thay are available with long wire leads almost 2 inches long
and are readily available like that :)

cheers
Dave
Hi Dave.
I ordered it from I think Dankey or another place on the web.I was looking for a ceramic, the kind of round flat with the 2 legs for soldering. I think what i go is used for just la\ying on the pc board and solder it on., But any way it was the same value 1000 ohm uf.
Im trying to find out what I should check to see why the board in not working right.
Tks for the reply. and I want to still get the 1000uf in ceramic type to use if i make another board.
tks
John

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
1000nF, or 1000pF perhaps? Check what you ordered.

TBennettcc

Dec 4, 2010
Are you sure the surface-mount device you have is a capacitor, and not a resistor? You refer to "1000 ohm uf". There's no such thing. Capacitance is measured in Farads (or microfarads, uF), while resistance is measured in ohms...

The diodes across the relays...

When a coil (inductor, inductive load, etc.) is energized, electricity is flowing through the wire in that coil. When electricity flows through a wire, it generates a magnetic field. That magnetic field is maintained until the electricity stops flowing through the coil. When the electricity stops flowing, the magnetic field collapses in an attempt to maintain the electricity flowing through the wire. We call this 'back-emf'. The diode re-routes this 'back-emf' pulse back through the coil, instead of letting it get to the transistors, etc., which are very sensitive when it comes to things like that. It is usually a good idea to put diodes across any relays in any circuits you design for this reason.

conntaxman

Jun 17, 2011
solar tracker

Are you sure the surface-mount device you have is a capacitor, and not a resistor? You refer to "1000 ohm uf". There's no such thing. Capacitance is measured in Farads (or microfarads, uF), while resistance is measured in ohms...

The diodes across the relays...

When a coil (inductor, inductive load, etc.) is energized, electricity is flowing through the wire in that coil. When electricity flows through a wire, it generates a magnetic field. That magnetic field is maintained until the electricity stops flowing through the coil. When the electricity stops flowing, the magnetic field collapses in an attempt to maintain the electricity flowing through the wire. We call this 'back-emf'. The diode re-routes this 'back-emf' pulse back through the coil, instead of letting it get to the transistors, etc., which are very sensitive when it comes to things like that. It is usually a good idea to put diodes across any relays in any circuits you design for this reason.
-------------------------------------------------------
Hi TB. I looked up the part# and I bought it from allied ele. here is the link and it is the 3rd item down on the list of parts for the solar tracker,
http://www.alliedelec.com/search/se...Search=D:213/-0696,Dxm:All,Dxp:3&SearchType=0
I was going to try to email the person that made the cir, and see if it really did work.Ha ha .So now Im stuck.
I tried to find another cir on the net that would do the same thing, track the sun and Reset itself.But I couldn't find one.
Im thinking of building another or un solder all the parts and try again, but Im sure that i have all the parts in correctly.
Thanks for all the help, to try to get this working.
John

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
No way is that 1000uF. As I suggested, if it's 1000 of anything it would be 1000pF (1nF) or 1000nF (1uF).

Looking at the part, I would tend to suggest that 1000nF is probably out of the question too.

It's probably a millionth of the value you require.

conntaxman

Jun 17, 2011
solar tracker

hi steve
That is what I ordered and that is what Allied sent. could you figure out what should be in the scamatic by looking at it. it's C3 and in the picture it's about in the center of the top part.Here is the link
Could I just use a eletrolitic their?
tks
John
or if anyone knows of another one that I can build .

TBennettcc

Dec 4, 2010
If you use the filters on the left-hand side of the Allied website, you should've come up with this list:

http://www.alliedelec.com/passive-components/capacitors/?dsNav=N:4294887054-4294959456

To filter that down even further, you'll probably want to select 'Radial' under 'Filter by termination:' (both leads come out one end of the capacitor, so it can 'stand up' on the board); C3 is probably fine to be an 'Aluminum Electrolytic' type (find the filter for that under the heading 'Filter by Material, Element'); and you'll need to choose a capacitor with a voltage rating above whatever voltages you're using in your circuit.

I'm not sure how you ended up with a surface-mount capacitor...

Here's another list with more filters set:

http://www.alliedelec.com/search/se...7-4294887054-4294959456-4294943829-4294955286