Connect with us

Suggestions on transistor to use to control 120V devices

Discussion in 'Electronic Basics' started by [email protected], Nov 3, 2005.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Guest

    I have been looking at some circuits using triacs and mosfets to
    control devices that run on 120V power mains. The mosfets & triacs in
    these circuits were able to manage about 300 watts. This made me start
    thinking about power transistors also. What are some transistors (part
    numbers) that would be able to control 120V devices in the 300 watt
    range? I know that a trasistors probably are not the best choice for
    this application, but I want to experiment anyway. Humor me.

    Also, what if I want to control some real power like maybe 600-1200
    watts. Any suggestions for mosfets, triacs, and transistors in this

    Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
  2. Wim Lewis

    Wim Lewis Guest

    well, 300 W at 120 V means 2.5 Amps RMS, or about 3.5 Amps peak if
    it's a resistive load. Glancing through a parts catalog, I see
    lots of BJTs that are spec'd to handle 3A or so, such as the TIP102.
    But that doesn't have the voltage rating you'd need. The 2N6547 and
    2N6678 might work. They have pretty low beta, so you'd need to use them
    as part of a Darlington or something. Maybe a TIP102 followed by a

    Triacs are definitely an easier way to do it, though, if you just
    want on/off control of an AC-powered load.
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day