Connect with us

Subaru dash clock problems - pictures...

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by Graphite, Jan 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Scroll to continue with content
  1. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    I'm not totally familiar with UK suppliers, but I'm pretty sure RS will be an option.

Http://rsonline.co.uk

Look up surface mount resistors. Then use the options to narrow down the options. You probably don't want to but 3000 of them at a time, you may have to buy 10 or even 100. Either way, the freight may exceed their price.

But first, try to determine the size of the existing R18 so you can order the correct size device. Size determines the power dissipation limit. The designer would have used a smaller size if they could have, so you don't want to pick something too small.

2. Dave 69

Dave 69

Oct 26, 2017
    Can anybody post a pic of their circuit board showing R4 - 151 so I can see which way the resistor is supposed to be soldered in please?

I’ve purchased resistors and a soldering iron so fingers crossed this works! I now just need to see which way to position the resistor.

Thanks in advance for any help given.

3. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    The metallic ends of the resistors each need to be soldered to one of the pads on the board.

If you post a picture of the part of the board without the resistor, and then another with the resistor sitting in place, we can confirm you have the correct orientation.

One side of the resistor has markings. Whilst it doesn't matter functionally whether this side is up it down, it is conventional to orient the resistor so you can read it :)

The resistor isn't polarized so it doesn't matter which way around it goes.

Soldering it in place is a bit more complex especially if you haven't soldered SMD components before. After you get the orientation correct we can cover that.

4. Dave 69

Dave 69

Oct 26, 2017
    Hi all,

Just and update for you. (Especially Steve) thanks for all your help with the clock issue.

It’s now resolved! The clock is up and working perfect

Everything is bright and working! I managed to purchase the SMP and a soldering iron and done all the work myself.
    When I got everything back together and the ignition on the display was dim and only showing half the digits.
    Jumped into the car started it up and by Odin’s beard the display was bright and clear.

Thanks to all involved for the help and advice. I now have 4 x SMP spare so if anyone needs send me a stamped, self addressed envelope and I can post them out to you.

Thanks

Dave

hevans1944 and (*steve*) like this.
Ask a Question