Connect with us

stupid question from a newbie

Discussion in 'Electronic Design' started by [email protected], Mar 11, 2007.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Guest

    I'm working on a circuit and I'm doing some testing. I'm basically
    following a set of directions. I'm unsure what the directions mean
    and I'm hoping someone here can help me with it.

    I'm using a voltmeter on a 3-prong 10k potentiometer, The directions
    say the following:
    "a digital voltmeter should be connected across the potentiometer top
    and bottom (not the wiper)"

    I'm not sure what it means by top and bottom. The pot has three
    prongs. Anyone know what this terminology means?


  2. Phil Allison

    Phil Allison Guest

    ** Means the two ends.

    What is "top" and "bottom" depends on the circumstances.

    The "bottom" usually means the end that connects to circuit ground or a
    lower voltage than appears on the top.

    ......... Phil
  3. BobG

    BobG Guest

    Measure from the wiper to either other terminal with pot full cw and
    full ccw. One reading will be zero, one will be the resistance of the
  4. Eeyore

    Eeyore Guest

    Are they Massive Prongs ?

  5. Eeyore

    Eeyore Guest

    We call them terminals.

    Wiper, top and bottom ?

    Yes, the one in the middle is going to be the wiper. Actually very, very rarely
    it might not be but I'm sure it will be in your case.

    The top and bottom refer to the conenctions to the pot's 'track'. The wiper is
    the moving connection.

Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day