Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Study the motion of a point

screamloud

Oct 11, 2015
Hello,

I would like to be able to study the motion of one point on a moving object in 3D.
The idea is to place a very small ball hanging in front of an open window(This will be the point that I want to study) , and record its movements due to air in 3D and have all the data modeled on a computer .
I would like the reference to be 2 small spheres (also two points) fixed at the corners of the window.
Will it be hard if I want to have something very precise (millimeters) and simple in the same time ?
What sensors do you recommend ? (I would prefer not to use cameras to do this. I would like to have ideas for a sensor that I can fix on the moving ball , which could for example detect the initial distance to the 2 fixed points , and then track and transcribe the changes to a computer after the motion).

Thank you very much !

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Hi there
welcome to EP :)

Will it be hard if I want to have something very precise (millimeters) and simple in the same time ?

yes it can be done, and no it wont be simple

Dave

screamloud

Oct 11, 2015
thank you for your reply ! May you propose some of the ways that this can be done ?
by the way, what is the smallest (and maybe lightest) sensor that I could attach to the ball to get the displacement in 3D?