Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Streaming...?

cluelessgirl

Apr 3, 2013
Okayy here goes. (oh and im 21 and a girl so bare with me)
I have a Sony Wega LDM 3210 32" Tv. it has 3 scart lead ports at the back of the box it runs off and at the front one vga port with pc written above it, one each of those red, white and yellow coloured circle cable things with AV5 written above them. So thinking id try and be clever by linking it up to stream netflix from my laptop so me and the Mr. wouldnt have to huddle around it to watch films we could sit back comfortably. I would have sorted this out with him but he's more a car man than tvs and things plus works away for weeks at a time so kinda on my own with this. my laptop is a HP G60 with Windows Vista and has a HDMI port. when i connect the two using a cable i brought simply because the two ends fit into the tv and laptop (dumb right.. seemed i was doing the right thing at the time) so the cable is Gold HDMI to S-VGA 3 RCA Projector DVD HD TV Cable Wire i dont know what all this means its off ebay but like i said they both fit so i went ahead... when flicking through the chanels when connected up i get to AV5 and it makes a crackling sound like its half connected but no image no proper noice coming through. can i even stream on this tv? if so what cable do i need? im sorry to be a pain. Cheers Guys! Much Thanks xx Holly.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Welcome to the forum!

I just went through this, so I will give it a crack.

I looked up the cable you mention and the Ebay listing has this warning:
If you are connecting HDMI Devices to output devices such as Projector, LCD, TV and so on, it may not work unless these output devices are HDMI enabled which mean they have built in signal converter to accept HDMI Signal through VGA Port. Please check with your manufacture if unsure. If your output devices do not have a built in signal converter, then you will need an external signal converter. The connection’s direction should always be from an HDMI source such as Xbox or Blue Ray or DVD Player to a monitoring device like LCD TV or Projector Screens. We know the above explanation may put you off buying from us but the above points will apply no matter where you buy from.
So, your TV probably does not accept HDMI over VGA. Does you laptop have a VGA connector as well? If so, just connect that to the VGA in on your TV.

But, a warning: Even if you get the cabling correct, the TV may not support the video mode you have selected on your laptop. You want to select 1280 x 720 at 60Hz if it is available on your laptop. This would be accepted by any HD TV.

Bob

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
Get a TV set top streaming box and you will thank yourself later... I'm a big fan of the Western Digital Live TV Plus but it's a discontinued product with an unclear future... But there are many alternative products out there that have similar functions, look over the features and find one that has what you might want in the future...

Some examples are the Roku, NeoTV, Apple TV or even get a one of the Live TV Plus units they do work even if they are discontinued, makes sure if you get one of the WD ones you get the newest model with WiFi built in, the older ones needed a USB dongle and it was a hassle to find one that actually worked with it...

In my house every TV has one of the WD boxes, my entire video library is on a dedicated media computer, that computer also runs PlayOn media software that allows me access to a BUNCH of internet video streams... Be aware though no all set top boxes allow media server streaming from another computer...

Last edited:

sheldonstv

Jul 17, 2007
the cable you are using is totally wrong-what you need to do is get yourself a lead from your local pc repair shop which is used to connect an external monitor to your laptop-your lcd tv does accept a vga signal when switched to the correct input-connect your lead to the pc input on your tv and the vga d type socket on your laptop and away you go......its not a black art but you must use the correct cable or it simply wont work