Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Strategy for Over Voltage

electronicsLearner77

Jul 2, 2015
I want to understand the strategy of over voltage protection. Suppose i detect the over voltage using software and then control the outputs by switching off, then the system comes back to normal voltage. But again if i do full operation it again goes to over voltage. I really do not understand how to brake this loop. This kind of scenario is it possible? Please suggest me some solutions.

crutschow

May 7, 2021
A common overvoltage detector is crowbar circuit that uses a voltage detector to trigger the SCR and short the output to ground in a few microseconds when the overvoltage occurs.
That then typically blows a fuse or puts the supply into current limit.
You then have to remove the voltage to reset the circuit.

A software solution may not be fast enough to protect the circuit from the overvoltage.
It likely needs to shut down the voltage within a few microseconds for good protection, and I don't know if the software can operate that fast.
If it is fast enough, then you could just lock out the circuit after it trips, and require a manual reset to prevent it from cycling.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
I want to understand the strategy of over voltage protection. Suppose i detect the over voltage using software and then control the outputs by switching off, then the system comes back to normal voltage. But again if i do full operation it again goes to over voltage. I really do not understand how to brake this loop. This kind of scenario is it possible? Please suggest me some solutions.

What size voltage levels and what is the source and ac or dc etc.

electronicsLearner77

Jul 2, 2015
It is for 48V system of electrical vehicles where voltage of above 54V is considered as over voltage. Should it be taken care in hardware or software?

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Why is it a problem?
How does it get overvolt level?
Any associated equipment would normally be fed via regulators.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
But again if i do full operation it again goes to over voltage.
Apart from what has been said: Usually voltage drops when a power system is loaded, voltage doesn't rise in that case. It rises when the load is removed.

electronicsLearner77

Jul 2, 2015
Why is it a problem?
How does it get overvolt level?
Any associated equipment would normally be fed via regulators.
Ok, that is true but the idea is to write software where in if any component fails and over voltage happens, how do i handle. As you told the study has to be done of how this scenario may happen.
Apart from what has been said: Usually voltage drops when a power system is loaded, voltage doesn't rise in that case. It rises when the load is removed.
In case of regenerative braking the battery will be charged