Maker Pro
Maker Pro

str-de445

Captain America

Jan 24, 2011
Hello my friends, I am having trouble with my dinosaur component. I see an earlier post stating that he had obtained a receiver because it was stuck in Protect Mode. Well I am having the same problem, but I am a chump that bought it new, back in the day. I could use some advise how to overcome this problem. Or the other guys receiver for parts, haha. Please remember I am a novice at this so keep the tech talk to a minimum, please.

Captain America

Jan 24, 2011
Hello my friends, I am having trouble with my dinosaur component. I see an earlier post stating that he had obtained a receiver because it was stuck in Protect Mode. Well I am having the same problem, but I am a chump that bought it new, back in the day. I could use some advise how to overcome this problem. Or the other guys receiver for parts, haha. Please remember I am a novice at this so keep the tech talk to a minimum, please.
I am looking for some quick answers good or bad news

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I'm looking for a question I can answer. I do vaguely recall the other thread you're talking about (I think), but not enough to search for it.

Perhaps you can point be to it.

The rest of your question makes little sense, but from what I remember of the thread I think you're referring to, does "dinosaur component" refer to a component style audio system?

edit: Oh, some quick good news: I received a package from my sister in law yesterday. (well, it was good news for me)

Last edited:

Captain America

Jan 24, 2011
My bad, thinking everybody read what I read. Well, I am the owner of a dinosaur, meaning very old component. It is the sony str-de445. It has done me well over the years, though I don't believe I ever got the full potential out of it. My problem is this, for some reason now when I turn my receiver on within 5 seconds goes into Protect mode and I have no functions after that. I had another receiver similar to this one that I just played music on and I had the same problem on. I took the system apart and recently put it back into commission and the problem magically went away. I hate not knowing.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Look here (although I suspect it was written by a drunken marketing person who had overheard one end of an engineer's phone conversation).

Protection is typically triggered by such things as:
* output offset voltage
* high temperature
* overdriven outputs
* power on/off delay
* protection system error
* phase of the moon

It looks like this fault is not uncommon. Looking at the descriptions, I would not be surprised if one of the last 2 are not involved (and probably not the last one).

Because people report it to be sensitive to orientation, I would first go looking for dry joints, cracks in boards, loose connections, and stuff like this. See if gently flexing the board in different places with an eraser tipped pencil to see if there's any sensitivity to movement.

The second thing to look for is an open or shorted output or driver transistor, since this will cause an output offset problem that would be detected almost immediately on output (and are possibly the most likely failures).