Connect with us

STM32F100RB MICROCONTROLLER

Discussion in 'Microcontrollers, Programming and IoT' started by aliomer87, Oct 9, 2012.

1. aliomer87

aliomer87

Oct 9, 2012
    I am intending to use STM32F100RB micro controller in my final year project. can someone guide me regarding its pros and cons because I am new to this controller. I am intending to use this since FYP is supposed to learn something new so this thing facinated me. Kindly give me some guide regarding this controller.

2. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    IMO, rather than stick with a particular brand or chip to start with, I would probably seek out an ARM Cortex-M3 developer board from whatever company, some companies will even offer an IDE and compiler package all in one kit to get you rolling... This approach will give you a giant head start over just grabbing any ARM Cortex-M3 based chip and going at it...

Hit up Ebay and do a search for 'ARM Cortex-M3 developer board' you will see the 'more popular' ARM Cortex-M3 that will undoubtedly have better online support... Or hit up some chip manufactures websites and look at their developer platforms...

3. aliomer87

aliomer87

Oct 9, 2012
    I am highly obliged for quick response.

As far as MCU board is concerned, we have chosen STM32VLDISCOVERY which has the following features:

[B]STM32F100RB microcontroller,
    128 KB Flash, 8 KB RAM in 64-pin LQFP
    ■ On-board ST-Link with selection mode switch
    to use the kit as a stand-alone ST-Link (with
    SWD connector)
    ■ Designed to be powered by USB or an external
    supply of 5 V or 3.3 V
    ■ Can supply target application with 5 V and 3 V
    ■ Two user LEDs (green and blue)
    ■ One user push button
    ■ Extension header for all QFP64 I/Os for quick
    connection to prototyping board or easy
    probing [/B]

now I have one main query,
    1. what is the major difference of programming a arm cortex M3 and any other micro controller? do we need to learn it completely from the start if we wish to program it in C language? kindly post me please.

4. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    Nothing really, just like any other micro your program is limited by the onboard hardware and you have to work within those perimeters...

Yes, and no... The C language will mostly be the same but you will have to learn all the specific ins and outs of the chip and apply those to the program, these are all platform specific... Read the datasheet over and over again, you will need to understand the hardware before you jump into programming...

Ask a Question