Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Stereo receiver speaker takes a long time to come on and electronics safety

monkeybanana

Jan 21, 2012
Hello everyone,

I have a Kenwood KR-V6010 which was working fine for a long time but now the speakers take a couple of minutes before any sound gets produced. I still get the normal click after powering on the receiver which use to be when the speakers would work. But now I get the click then wait and wait and finally sound comes through.

Cause: I had my foxhole radio connected to the receiver (you can see my thread on my radio here: https://www.electronicspoint.com/foxhole-radio-tuning-help-my-first-circuit-t243458.html). I did this as a temporary way to amplify my radio signal (I know, there is a radio on the damn receiver but it's not as cool as hearing tunes from ones own radio! Plus I can get stations not in the range that the receiver offers such as anything over 1600 kHz). So everything worked fine except when turning on or off any lights in the living room I would ge a loud pop through the speakers. Then I accidentally did this one too many times and now the delay is happening.

So here is my question, I googled the problem and found that this could be as simple as replacing capacitors (http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_audiofaqa.html#AUDIOFAQA_011) so I am wondering how safe it would be for me to pop open the receiver and do this myself. If you think this is safe enough to do by anyone, what are some of the basic safety measures I should follow? Like, should I discharge any capacitors, etc...?

I am still trying to find the manual for diagrams. The Kenwood KRF-V6010 keeps popping up in searches but seems to be a different model (why use such similar letter and number combos?). But I will post a diagram if I can find it.

Thanks for reading if you made it this far!

Last edited:

Rleo6965

Jan 22, 2012
Check first dc voltage of the big filter capacitor in the power supply if dangerous voltage still exist. Discharge it using the ac plug of your soldering iron. If you don't have bleeder resistor. . Then visually look for capacitors that have overheat or bulged top. That would be the culprit. Also look for resistors that changed color or burnt.
Hope this help.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
I don't have THE answer, but I've got an opinion.
The delay is there to protect the receiver. I wish I knew what increased your delay.
Possible damage from what you've done, but did you do anything else?
Are they the same speakers?
Check to make sure the speaker wires themselves were not crossed, so that the wires
are shorting-out anywhere (especially after moving the speakers around).
Make sure you have good connections for the speakers at the reciever and the speakers.
I've found the delay is prolonged when the load for the speakers is not right, for some
of the reasons I've listed above.
You may very well have damage internally, but I'd recheck all the speaker connections
first. It's easy to do, and will answer THAT question anyway.

monkeybanana

Jan 21, 2012
Check first dc voltage of the big filter capacitor in the power supply if dangerous voltage still exist. Discharge it using the ac plug of your soldering iron. If you don't have bleeder resistor. . Then visually look for capacitors that have overheat or bulged top. That would be the culprit. Also look for resistors that changed color or burnt.
Hope this help.
This sounds like something I can at least look at. I'm still a little worried about those transformers and big capacitors. Everything I've seen says its lethal!

to shrtrnd: The stereo and speakers have not moved, they're sitting on a bookshelf and I use a regular jack for everything from laptops to ipods as my source for music. I really think its inside :(

thanks guys

Last edited: