Connect with us

Stereo question

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Subliminalfringe, Jul 27, 2010.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Subliminalfringe

Subliminalfringe

Jul 27, 2010
    Hello all,

I have somewhat limited experience in electronics, but I have an idea to solve a problem and I was looking for opinions...

I have a stereo amplifier and into the CD input I have connected a Bluetooth dongle and use it to stream music from my iPad to the stereo with Pandora or Internet stations. I would also like to use the iPad to access all my music on my computer in another part of the house and send it to the stereo. This can easily be achieved through iTunes and an Airport Express that I have..

The problem is the I would like to use the CD input for both. I have ordered a stereo splitter for $5 that will allow me to plug both sources into the one input. I have no need or intention of using both at the same time, however I am wondering if I can damage these units with this approach? Would I need to wire in a 1 amp diode at each end of the "Y" to isolate each unit from the other?

Thanks

2. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    I don't think they'll get damaged, but the outputs will nevertheless work against each other and if powered up the quiet one will still dampen the output level of the active.
    The damping effect may be different for the two units. If you can live with this then it should be ok. Diodes won't work at all, but resistors would equalize any difference.
    Any value between 100 & 1000 Ohms in series with each output will do the job.

3. kyjosh

kyjosh

Dec 15, 2009
    If you are using what I think you are, just a basic y-spliter, you might only get one channel of audio.

Ask a Question