Connect with us

Stereo/Microphone Amp

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Warren Sandbeck, Jan 3, 2015.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Warren Sandbeck

Warren Sandbeck

Jan 3, 2015
    Hi guys

I am trying to build my very first project from nothing but schematics, and have run into a little trouble. My project is building an stereo/microphone amp. I have chosen a TPA6021A4 Texas Instruments IC to drive the amp, and a DS1669 Dallastat Electronic Digital Rheostat with tactile pushbuttons to control the volume up and down. Here is the datasheet for the TPA6021A4

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tpa6021a4.pdf

and here is the datasheet for the DS1669

http://datasheets.maximintegrated.com/en/ds/DS1669.pdf

I have ordered the parts already to build the circuit, and chose to use Tantalum Electrolytic Capacitors, except for the one 330μf capacitor, which I chose to use a Radial Electrolytic Capacitor for (have I made a mistake in using all Tantalum Capacitors?) I also chose to go with 1/4 watt metal film resistors, I am not absolutely certain whether or not 1/4 watt resistors were the way to go since the datasheets don't really mention which watt value to use.

The one part that is really confusing me is the headphone jack. I cannot tell what kind of headphone jack to use from the schematic. In the datasheet it says to use a 1/8" 3.5mm Stereo Headphone Jack. Whenever I look that part up on google I get a variety of headphone jacks, and cables as well. Mostly I see 5 pin stereo headphone jacks, but it appears from the schematic that I should only be using a 4 pin stereo headphone jack. I know the jack has to have a switch included as well that will allow the headphones to function when a "barrel" (I think that is what it is called) is inserted and not function when the barrel is pulled out of the jack, so I want to make sure that I order the correct headphone jack. Is there someone here that knows what kind of headphone jack I need? I wish I could understand the little schematics that I see for headphone jacks but I can't seem to make heads or tails out of them. I noticed that they don't even label which pin is which. How am I suppose to know which pin is for the right side of the headphones, left side, the switch, and ground? Any help would be greatly appreciated

2. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    hi Warren,
    welcome to EP :)

Tant caps should be OK :)

not too sure about the specifics of the HP socket

3. Warren Sandbeck

Warren Sandbeck

Jan 3, 2015
    Alright, thanks for the confirmation on the capacitors davenn :)

4. Warren Sandbeck

Warren Sandbeck

Jan 3, 2015
    *Update

Okay I think I have figured out for myself which Microphone jack to use.

Ask a Question