Connect with us

Stepping down voltage from a battery

Discussion in 'Power Electronics' started by Mindcrime13, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Mindcrime13

Mindcrime13

Jan 6, 2010
    Im working on an airsoft replica and the issue im having is that the battery i have is way to powerfull but is the only battery that fits my replica propperly. The battery is lipo 11.1 volts, 1600mah, 20C i need to take the voltage down to at least 8 volts, i know that there is a formula to find what resistor i can use to step down the voltage but i really dont know, so any input , help is appreciated

2. dmclambjr

dmclambjr

Jan 9, 2010
  3. Razorback64

Razorback64

Aug 13, 2010
    Depending on the application, the industry uses one of the following three methods, listed below in the order of increasing power level:

1) A charge pump: lets the potential energy built up in a row of parallel capacitors then switches to connect the capacitors in series to add up the voltage.

2) A boost converter: lets the kinetic energy built up in an inductor then switches to discharge that energy to a capacitor to pump up the capacitor voltage.

3) A transformer: oscillates the DC to an AC, runs the AC through a step up transformer, then rectifies the secondary AC back to a DC.

electronic gadgets-buy electronics
    Car Diagnostic Tools-CarECU

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  4. barathbushan

barathbushan

Sep 26, 2009
    you cant use a resistor to drop voltage unless you know that the load current is constant !!
    if the load demands more current then there will be a greater drop at the resistor , and this prevents the load from getting the required voltage

5. barathbushan

barathbushan

Sep 26, 2009

there is no such thing as a transformer oscillator !!!
    if you run dc through a transformer , there is no change in flux , and hence Emf is not
    induced , IN SHORT NOTHING HAPPENS

6. barathbushan

barathbushan

Sep 26, 2009
Ask a Question