Connect with us

Stepping down speaker input to line level

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by PMSM, Aug 21, 2016.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. PMSM

PMSM

Aug 12, 2016
    Long time solderer, first time circuit designer. I've got an electronic billboard has two speakers, which according to the spec sheet are 5 watts, 8 ohms, and I want to reroute the signal from them to a 3.5 mm jack, that I'm going to plug into some 10 ohm computer speakers.

What intermediary changes do I need to make to the signal so none of the equipment is damaged? The audio file the billboard plays is mono, so should I bother wiring both speakers inputs into the new speakers? If not, is it safe just to throw an 8Ohm resistor on the side I'm not using? What else should I look out for?

Thanks in advance

-D

2. Alec_t

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
    Are these powered and amplified speakers, or just naked speakers?

3. PMSM

PMSM

Aug 12, 2016
    Powered and amplified. Edifier mp230s, to be specific.

4. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    Line level is about 1/2V peak. Your 5W speakers are about 6V peak. So I would reduce the voltage with a voltage divider by a factor of 10 or so. I.e. 10K to the output 1K to ground, junction to the input.

Bob

CDRIVE likes this.
  5. PMSM

PMSM

Aug 12, 2016
    Excellent, I'll definitely do that. Thank you Bob!

6. CDRIVE

CDRIVE Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3

May 8, 2012
    Gee Bob, I think you could have complicated this just a tad. After all if they were all this easy we'd have nothing to do here!:)

Chris

7. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    You are right Chris. I think maybe an 8 pole active bandpass filter using 4 Salen-Keys stages is required. Chebyshev response of course.

Bob

CDRIVE likes this.
Ask a Question