Connect with us

Stepper Motor voltage allowable?

Discussion in 'Sensors and Actuators' started by eem2am, Aug 14, 2010.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. eem2am

eem2am

Aug 3, 2009
    I have this stepper motor which i intend to drive with 36V even though its only 6V rated................

("UBB1", Rated Voltage = 6V, 18.5Ohms per phase)

http://www.auf-vertrieb.business.t-online.de/pdf/UBB.pdf

....how can you tell what is the maximum allowable drive voltage for this (above) stepper motor...or indeed, for any stepper motor?

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    You're making a smoke machine, right?

Easy, read the spec sheet.

In this case it says 6V.

The only way you might get away with 36V is to use PWM with a max "on" time of around 15%. Even then, I'm not sure it would be my fiirst choice.

3. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    For static purposes a voltage rating is fine, but for dynamic high-speed use one should consider using the current rating instead.
    A stepper has a considerable inductance and so it takes a while for the current to rise after a voltage step. It is the current that drives the motor to a new position.
    So to make the motor run real fast one needs to use a higher voltage than rated power supply and drive the motor with a constant current instead.
    Using a (constant current) PWM scheme will be neccessary to avoid having a large power dissipation in the driver.
    One may also need to know if the rating is for full-step use only or if it can take half-stepping too (which increases the average motor dissipation by 50%).

Ask a Question