Connect with us

Stepper motor rated power?

Discussion in 'Sensors and Actuators' started by eem2am, Aug 26, 2010.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. eem2am

eem2am

Aug 3, 2009
    Do you know what is the rated power of this stepper motor?

It is the 6V, 18.5 Ohms per winding (UBB1/5) type…….

http://www.auf-vertrieb.business.t-online.de/pdf/UBB.pdf

-the stepper has two windings.

Am I right in assuming that this stepper motor’s rated power is 2 * V^2/R = 3.89W ?

If the rated power is indeed this figure of 3.89W, is it ever permissible/adviseable to drive this stepper motor with a power higher than this rated value?

-If so , then for how long may I drive the stepper motor at a power level which is higher than the motors rated power level?

2. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    Your power assumption is correct if the motor is stopped at a half-step. Running in half-step mode it will consume 3W average. I can't say for how long it'll take this though.
    Temporary overpowering tolerance is determined by mass, time, & max allowable temperature. In the ordinary single stepping mode it will consume 2W regardless.
    Single stepping mode only applies power to one coil at a time. Half-stepping applies power to two coils simultaneously in-between the single-step positions.

Ask a Question