Connect with us

Stepper Motor Max RPM

Details on how to calculate stepper motor max RPM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Scroll to continue with content
  1. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun So long, and Thanks for all the Fish!

Aug 27, 2013
    Fish4Fun submitted a new resource:

Stepper Motor Max RPM **Theory** - Stepper Motor Max RPM **Theory**

Read more about this resource...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2016
    hevans1944 and Arouse1973 like this.
  2. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    Wouldn't this make a great ressource?

hevans1944 likes this.
  3. Fish4Fun

Aug 27, 2013
    Thanks Harald!

(Selfishly) That is why I posted it here....so I could just send people links to it w/o having to re-write it every time it comes up ;-) I am, of course, ever hopeful that others might contribute to it, but even if they don't it pretty much covers the most common recurring problems I encounter with cnc-noobs who don't understand why their machines perform so poorly....

Fish

4. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    I thought about an entry in the ressource section...

hevans1944 and Ian like this.
  5. Ian

Ian Administrator

Aug 23, 2006
    I can convert this to appear in the resources tab at the top if you'd like @Fish4Fun? I agree that it would be a great resource!

hevans1944 likes this.
  6. Fish4Fun

Aug 27, 2013
    Hey Ian!

Of course. As I mentioned I really posted here so that I could direct people to it w/o having to re-write it/C&P it...making it a resource just makes it easier to find ;-)

Thanks!

Fish

hevans1944 and Ian like this.
  7. Ian

Ian Administrator

Aug 23, 2006
    Brilliant! I've converted this to a resource now, and the original thread is now the linked discussion topic :).

hevans1944 likes this.
  8. Colin Mitchell

Colin Mitchell

Aug 31, 2014
    This is the most important part of the article:

So the Theoretical maximum RPM for the Stepper using a 36V Power Supply AND reaching the rated current of 3.5A is only 580 RPM.....I am NOT saying a 36V supply will not spin one of these motors faster than 580RPM, but the torque will drop-off very rapidly above the 580RPM point. Same math for a 48V supply yields ~770RPM, and a 60V supply yields 975RPM while a 24V supply only yields 362RPM.

At least it gives some idea of the RPM to expect, even though stepper motors are generally used to give an accurate position through the number of steps delivered to the motor.
    In most cases it is "step-counting" as you know the number of steps per rotation.

hevans1944 likes this.
  9. hevans1944

hevans1944 Hop - AC8NS

Jun 21, 2012
    And this is why PWM supplies for stepper motors are the preferred drive paradigm. If the winding insulation can stand for it, it is not uncommon for PWM supplies to deliver pulses with amplitudes ten to a hundred times greater than the motor's rated voltage. So, a low-voltage (2 V), low resistance stepper motor can be driven with 200 V constant-current pulses providing high current without overheating.

The enclosed application note from STMicroelectronics helps to explain why.

Attached Files:

Ask a Question