Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Stepper Motor Controller

aidan

Jul 15, 2011
I will apologize in advanced for the crappy pictures, had to take them with my cellphone and for some reason picture size got reduced to the minimum. :mad:

Anyways, so I have this stepper motor I got from an Epson Printer (rx500 stylus photo):
z4IbB.jpg

Brkwj.jpg

(The numbers on the bottom say starting furthest left: em-483, 3y070, 5b)

I'm not sure what type it is, but some quick experimenting by me revealed that i get the most resistance (turning resistance) from shorting the (assuming the wire with the blue stripe is number 1) number 1 & 3 wires and the 2 & 4 wires. As for the controller, I looked around on the circuit board the motor was attached to
GE45N.jpg

and saw nothing that looked like an obvious H-bridge, but did see a couple of transistors on the backside of the circuit board:
eESng.jpg

Any ideas as to if the transistors are the controller? and if it is, how would i wire it up?

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
Can't even make a guess without a better picture of the board, showing where the steppers are connected, and preferably also/either a list of the chip type numbers.
The stepper, having 4 wires, and two 3.4 ohm coils it seems, is probably a bipolar 4-phase stepper - so it needs a low voltage high current full H-bridge driver.