Maker Pro
Maker Pro

step motor

fencer

Feb 8, 2012
Hello,

i have a "classic" motor on 120W and i would like now to change it with a step motor to change the speed with a microcontroller but i don't know how to find a step motor like my "classic" old one.

thanks

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
I will assume you meant 120VAC motor as 'classic'

Then maybe a VFD would allow you to change the speed. I know they use them for three-phase, but I think there is some that will work on single phase.
http://www.anaconsystems.com/text/opti_e2.html

Your second option is to use a DC motor and use PWM to control the speed. This is actually quite easy, but the motor will cost more then a AC equivalent.

I would not use a stepper motor. But, you haven't exactly told us the job the motor is performing or how big the motor needs to be and whether or not it needs to change directions.

Last edited:

fencer

Feb 8, 2012
thanks for your answer. I use it on olive harvesters now i control the moter's speed with a power supply 12-16V with a step of 1V and 10A.

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
So it is a DC motor then? What are the ratings for the motor? Your best bet with a DC motor is PWM. How complex that will be depends on whether the motor needs to change directions.

Again I am only assuming what motor you have because you really haven't told us yet.