Connect with us

Step down from 110v AC to 6v DC on miniature scale

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Darren2012, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Darren2012

Darren2012

Jun 12, 2012
    Hi all

I was wondering if i could recieve some advice/ knowledge. I was wondering if it is possible to step down 110v to 6v dc on a miniature scale and how to do it. i would be grateful for any know how on this issue.. it is a personal project in which i hope to use a miniature 6 v actuator tomove a small plastic cover over a connector block on a unit i work with daily.

Thanks for the help

Much appreciated

2. Darren2012

Darren2012

Jun 12, 2012
    Also would it be ossible to power the actuator by stepping down the power with resistors

3. KMoffett

KMoffett

Jan 21, 2009
  4. Darren2012

Darren2012

Jun 12, 2012
    I have a casing of 7cm long by 5cm wide and 4 cm high. the actuator takes up very little space its 2cm by 2cm n 1 cm high... the actuator needs 250mA with a 5v DC supply

5. khankll

khankll

Feb 6, 2011
    most mobile phones chargers are 5v and they can deliver currents in range of 300mA to 1 amps.. and they also very small .. if u open the case of charger ( it some ti,mes opens but other times u woukd have to break it ) thwre is a small pcb .. realy small u can hide it in mpst places.. i have been using this way in many places..

regarding ur question whetjher a single resistor coul be used to step down voltages .. NO .. because it will still be ac..an u need dc..

6. inlineskater

inlineskater

Jun 15, 2012
    Just a note - USB supplies 5v - If you have a computer that is always on ( as I do ) - You use a USB cable to your circuit. Uncertain if you need the exact 6v.

7. Mongrel Shark

Mongrel Shark

Jun 6, 2012
    Yep. USB= 5v @ 500ma.

Even if you don't have a port handy. You can get wall plug USB power supply for real cheap on ebay. Or if you need it asap. Pay a bit more at your local electronics store.

Ask a Question