Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Step down from 110v AC to 6v DC on miniature scale

Darren2012

Jun 12, 2012
Hi all

I was wondering if i could recieve some advice/ knowledge. I was wondering if it is possible to step down 110v to 6v dc on a miniature scale and how to do it. i would be grateful for any know how on this issue.. it is a personal project in which i hope to use a miniature 6 v actuator tomove a small plastic cover over a connector block on a unit i work with daily.

Thanks for the help

Much appreciated

Darren2012

Jun 12, 2012
Hi all

I was wondering if i could recieve some advice/ knowledge. I was wondering if it is possible to step down 110v to 6v dc on a miniature scale and how to do it. i would be grateful for any know how on this issue.. it is a personal project in which i hope to use a miniature 6 v actuator tomove a small plastic cover over a connector block on a unit i work with daily.

Thanks for the help

Much appreciated
Also would it be ossible to power the actuator by stepping down the power with resistors

khankll

Feb 6, 2011
most mobile phones chargers are 5v and they can deliver currents in range of 300mA to 1 amps.. and they also very small .. if u open the case of charger ( it some ti,mes opens but other times u woukd have to break it ) thwre is a small pcb .. realy small u can hide it in mpst places.. i have been using this way in many places..

regarding ur question whetjher a single resistor coul be used to step down voltages .. NO .. because it will still be ac..an u need dc..

inlineskater

Jun 15, 2012
Just a note - USB supplies 5v - If you have a computer that is always on ( as I do ) - You use a USB cable to your circuit. Uncertain if you need the exact 6v.

Mongrel Shark

Jun 6, 2012
Yep. USB= 5v @ 500ma.

Even if you don't have a port handy. You can get wall plug USB power supply for real cheap on ebay. Or if you need it asap. Pay a bit more at your local electronics store.