Connect with us

Step down 240v AC to 24v AC

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Laywah, Apr 7, 2015.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Laywah

Laywah

Dec 19, 2014
    Hey everyone,
    I am seeking for a method to convert 240v AC to 24v AC so that I can perform several tasks using one Power supply.

Generally i know that you should be able to use a step down transformer to do this, I am just having difficulty finding one to do the job.

my power requirements are:
    1x 24v AC @ 1.5amp
    1x 5v DC @ 2amp (for a raspberry Pi)

simply, I know that once i have 24v AC i can easily convert this to DC and then fine tune it to get the right voltage and amps for the Pi and likewise I can distribute the AC stuff out to the AC components.

Does anyone know of a suitable transformer to do this or have another suggestion on how I can achieve what i need?
    If possible I would also like this to weigh less than 2Kg?

2. ramussons

ramussons

Jun 10, 2014
    Is the "AC components" important?

If not, then the simplest would be buy readily available 5 Volt and 24 V SMPS units.

If you want to make the power supply, look for a 24 volt transformer with a 6 volt tapping. You can convert these to regulated DC as planned. 24-6-0-6-24 winding will be the secondary configuration for a full wave rectification followed by voltage regulators.

Using a 0-6-24 secondary is not recommended since you can use only Half Wave Rectification leading to core magnetisation due to DC.

You should not use Bridge Rectifiers UNLESS you have a separate 24 Volt and 6 Volt windings.

You can feed AC to other "components" ONLY if you are using the underlined para above (there may be exceptions) since only this configuration will have a common "ground" for AC and DC power.

3. Laywah

Laywah

Dec 19, 2014
    Thanks Ramussons,
    I am esesentially trying to build a retic system using a RPi.

I am only focusing on the electronics at this stage and I need 24VAC @ 0.125amps to power each solenoids.

For design reasons I want enough power to fire 6 solenoids plus a contactor which is about the same rating as the solenoids.

I dont see the two separate power supplies being a solution as other retic controllers only have one cord.

I dont understand the 24-6-0-6-24 and 6v tapping but if that meets my needs I am happy to go with that.

4. Kiwi

Kiwi

Jan 28, 2013
    Jaycar MM2012 is a 24vac 3A transformer for $28.
    Altronics M2190L is a 24vac 5A transformer for $38.
    Both these companies have branches around Australia.

How many solenoids will you be running at the same time?

5. hevans1944

hevans1944 Hop - AC8NS

Jun 21, 2012
    You should buy a step-down transformer providing 24 VAC @ 2A (or more) to provide power for your solenoids and contactor.

You should buy an inexpensive 5 VDC @ 2A switch-mode power supply to provide power for the Raspberry Pi.

Forget about deriving DC from the step-down transformer. It's not worth the bother when for a few dollars you can purchase a cheap power supply for your modest current requirement.

davenn likes this.
  6. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009

Yeah, that's actually a better way to go :)

D

7. ramussons

ramussons

Jun 10, 2014
    It's a 24 Volt transformer with a Centre Tap and 6 Volt tappings like:

upload_2015-4-8_12-22-41.png

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  8. Laywah

Laywah

Dec 19, 2014
    Thanks for all the explanation and suggestions with this. Hopefully I will be going to Jaycar or Altronics sometime in the next few days to get the transformer. Will put it together and see how things go. :)

Ask a Question