Connect with us

Steering Gear-Direct me pls.

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by louarnold, Dec 17, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. louarnold

louarnold

Dec 5, 2012
    I'm looking for some gears to steer a mobility scooter from a micro-controller. Can someone direct me to a forum that might help me determine what specs I need?

I have attached a photo. The shaft is almost 1" in diameter and is raked back to about 30 degrees from vertical.

Attached Files:

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    The mechanical issues are the most difficult.

If you use a uC to control a stepper motor (perhaps geared) to steer, all the electronics is straightforward. Just google for "microcontroller stepper motor driver" and you should find heaps of information.

Your interface might be a joystick, and in that case you need to look at how that's done -- again, a straightforward thing.

But get the mechanical stuff figured out first.

3. louarnold

louarnold

Dec 5, 2012
    Well, the motor needs the right torque since this is a tricycle-type scooter. If the front wheel is turned to far it will take quite a bit of torque to turn them straight.

But where do I get the gears? This is experimental and the ability to get a selection of gears cheaply and quickly - just to try them for a few minutes - is important.

Ask a Question