Connect with us

STCS2

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by conntaxman, Apr 25, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. conntaxman

conntaxman

Jun 17, 2011
    i need to get 3amps at 12vdc. i have used a STCS2 to light up LED'S and it works well. seeing they only can go to 2 amps can i put TWO of these in parallel to get my 3amps.
    I know now one has a schematic to get 4 amps x 12vdc.
    tks
    John

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    In theory, you can place two power supplies in parallel to increase the available current.

In practice, there are several problems.

The two main problems are unequal voltage and forcing current into a power supply.

The first problem (say one power supply is 12.00V and the other is 12.01V) means that if the regulation is good, the power supply with the highest output voltage will supply the vast bulk of the current. A small resistance in series with each power supply (it might even be the leads connecting the power supply) may be sufficient if the voltage drop across them is several times the difference in voltage. This also points out why the leads to each power supply need to be the same length.

The second problem (which may be cause by the first, or simply by turning one on before the other) is that the power supply is typically only designed to source current and not to sink it. If current is forced back into the power supply, bad things can happen.

3. conntaxman

conntaxman

Jun 17, 2011
    wonder if their is anyone on this board that can make up a schematic of a simple 4am power supply that runs off 12vdc,or say a auto/car battery.For the folks that know electronics that should be very simple.And could help me out and most likely other people.
    tks
    John
    I could find schematics or 2 amp and lower on the net.

Ask a Question