Maker Pro
Maker Pro

stc stc89c54rd controller

chipsfish

Apr 24, 2013
Hi

We bought a treadmill around two years ago, we hadn't used it much (either too lazy or too busy) so usage was around 6-10 times a year. Anyway the wife decided to go on it but it beeps now when starting up, flashes a date of manufacture on the led display followed by a E01 code.

I called the company that made the thing with no response so I emailed them and got an email back a few days later, basically I would need to purchase a new board at $270. I took the board to a component store and they couldn't 'fix it'.

The board has few components on them the main one is a chip "stc89c54rd 40c pdip40"
All the leds are working, the other capacitors must be working else there wouldn't be any leds lights on.

I was thinking about getting a bunch of these mcu from china as there only 0.43$ each and then copying the mcu software onto a blank one. But if the chip is encrypted, I wouldn't know what to do.

Do you think I should just buy the board (what if that goes dolally in two years as well!) or
attempt to clone it onto another chip?

I'm a newbie at electronics so I wouldn't know what to purchase to clone it if I went down that route. Do you have any recommendations on software or hardware (that can also copy encrypted chips, if it is)?

thanks and sorry for the long post.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I wouldn't bet on it being the microcontroller at first. It's far more likely to be something else.

Post a picture of both sides of the board and let's see what we can see.

It would be really nice to know what the E01 error means...

chipsfish

Apr 24, 2013
thanks Steve,

My daughter has the camera so when she pops back from university I'll take some pictures of the board.

I told the support people about the E01 and all they said was it needs a new board. I've tried finding out about the error code online but drew a blank.

Last edited: