Connect with us

Static caused by volume knob in speaker set

Discussion in 'Electronic Repair' started by [email protected], May 26, 2007.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Guest

    Hi - I have a set of speakers for my computer which connect to it via
    a box which has a power button and volume knob. Replacing the box is
    not an option as it is made specifically for the speaker set. For some
    time now, I will hear static every once in awhile, which can be
    stopped by spinning the volume knob a bit. Also, if I turn the knob
    very slowly, it causes static. So I imagine there is a mechanical
    connection problem in the volume knob.

    I just opened the case up and see that the knob is a component marked
    on the board, "VR100, volume". I assume this is a variable resistor.
    The piece itself says "AK(ohm symbol)X4" stamped on it, and engraved
    into it on each side is "KIE". The piece is soldered into the board
    with 12 pins, 3 columns, 4 rows.

    Where can I find a replacement and what exactly is this called? I have
    soldering experience building little things for fun but have never
    attempted to repair anything like this.. but I think it'd be fun, not
    to mention quite cost effective! I'll finally be able to listen to
    music without fear of static interrupting :)

    Thanks in advance!!
  2. Arfa Daily

    Arfa Daily Guest

    None of those markings seems to reflect a 'real' value, and the fact that it
    has 12 pins would suggest it to be a four channel 'special'. Are you sure
    that the first symbol in the string is an " A " ? The rest of that would be
    ok if it was instead a number like a "4" say. It would then read " 4K ohms
    x 4 " ie four individual pots (variable resistors as you think of them)
    of 4k ohms each. Either way, it is unlikely that you are going to find a
    suitable substitute from anywhere, that would be a drop-in replacement. Four
    channel pots are quite rare anyway. Most likely, the existing pot unit would
    clean, as the problem goes away temporarily when you quickly rotate it. You
    need to pop to your local electronics emporium - Radio Shack, Maplin etc
    depending on where in the world you are, and purchase a can of switch
    cleaner with lubricant. If you don't have such a store near you, there are
    plenty of on-line electronics stores where you could get it.

    Just squib a generous (but not ridiculous) amount into each of the four pots
    in the assembly. You might find four suitable holes in the control's case
    where you can do this, but if not, the four places that the rows of 3 pins
    exit the case, will be good points to spray the cleaner/lubricant into. Then
    rotate the shaft back and forth vigourously for 30 seconds. You can do that
    bit with it switched on if you like. You should be able to hear the crackle
    diminish, and go away as you rotate, if you have been sucessful. Depending
    on the quality of the pot, you may get any result from a total and
    long-lasting, or even permanent cure, to just a reduction in how often it
    does it.

    Good luck d;~)

  3. Kurt

    Kurt Guest

    The best stuff I've found is Caiglabs De-Oxit. It worked after a short
    lived fix with the Radio Shack cleaner. It's been over a year and
    no static problems (yet).\

    It's expensive (about $10 for a little tube), but you just use a little.
    One tube will fix about 100 pots.
  4. RBJ

    RBJ Guest

    You could try to clean the resistor-contact with a good spray for this
    But also check the the electrolytic condenser mounted and which is supposed
    to kill such noise.

Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day