Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Starting with electronics

DoLoop

Aug 23, 2017
I am willing to learn how to build simple stuffs but i have no knowledge and i have no idea how to start learning.

What i ask you to do is to help me get tutorials on how to build something that i will describe now and with that will be my start point and i will be able to continue.

So let's say a simple project is that i have display with simple `ON-OFF` on it (it needs to be display so i learn how to connect them) and then simple button that will tell a led light to turn on/off but not directly with switch but through chip (i do not know how to call it, but programmatically) and then toggle text on display.

I have no idea where i can look for tutorials about displays or chips so if anyone could point me it would be a huge help.

Just to point out i am programmer c#, C++, .Net - also worked with SQL

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
Welcome DoLoop.
Your programming background will make learning microcontrollers a breeze.
Learning the fundamentals first is best. I find many tutorials on youtube, but old fashioned book reading is even better.
After you get a grasp of the fundamentals, you can look into circuits that involve pull-up and pull-down resistors, antibouncing of switches, regulators and similar.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
If you want to do that project, and you are a beginner, I would recommend Arduino. It is a programmable microcontroller that is intended to support hobbyists, rather than serious electronics engineers.

But, you won't learn much about electronics with that project, you will learn about programming microcontrollers. And not even that very well, since you will undoubtedly use library code to run the display for instance.

If you want to learn electronics, I would start with a simpler project that does not involve displays and microcontrollers. Learn the basics first, then you will be in a much better position when you move on to microcontrollers. A true beginner project is to first light an LED, then make it flash. Walk before you run.

Bob

Irv

Jun 7, 2017
Since you specify that you want a "display", not just an indicator lamp LED, BobK's suggestion of an Arduino is spot on. The time when it was practical to build things from discrete parts - i.e. "soldering stuff together" is about past, and if you want to learn something that will be of practical value in the future, might as well start with microcontrollers. In addition, you'll save money, compared to searching out discrete components.
Once you create a few things that "just work", you'll have more incentive to dive into the nity-gritty details.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
The time when it was practical to build things from discrete parts - i.e. "soldering stuff together" is about past,
It isn't. Only it's more convenient to use off-the-shelf modules. And why not? How deep someone wants to delve into the abyss of building projects from scratch is up to himself.
UNdoubtedly for a starter with programming background something like arduino, RasberryPi or similar is a good entry. There are books and magazines showing how to set up this type of controller and how to iterface it with the real world.

Once you want to go more basic, you need an introduction to electronics. I'm sure you can find them in Serbian language. If not English is the universal language for electronics tinkerers (hobby and professional). You'll find lots of tutorials on the internet.
Come to our forum with specific questions.

A minimum set of rules you should know are things like Ohm's law, Kirchhoff's laws etc.

DoLoop

Aug 23, 2017
Thank you so much everyone. I have started with Arduino's tutorials. They are so easy to follow. I will need some things to get so it will take me 2-3 days but when i get them i will get on practical part.

One more question. Is there any book that you would suggest me to get. It would be best to be English version (I do not like learning at my mother tongue.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
There's a sticky thread in one of the forums that has a number of book reviews. It might be worth starting there.