Connect with us

Starting a new project, a smartwatch

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by designerguy1, Jul 1, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. designerguy1

designerguy1

Jul 1, 2013
    I am beginning a new project. I have the basic design down, and now i need to start a parts list (display, battery...etc.). How do I write the software and build the mother board?

Estimated dimensions: (body) 2.13" x 1.1" x .20"
    (display) 1.6" x .9" or 1.84" diagonal (OLED or LCD?)

It needs to:
    -be touch sensitive
    -color display
    -connect to smartphone via bluetooth
    -have headphone jack
    -onboard flash for music playback
    -vibrator for alerts

basically where do I begin?:D

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2013
  2. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    unless you have access to a microelectronics factory and designers somewhere in Japan etc
    this wont be a project you do at home within the dimensions or complexity you have described
    its going to be substantially bigger

so are you prepared to deal with the compactness issue first ? ;)

Dave

3. designerguy1

designerguy1

Jul 1, 2013
    Yes, by making the thinnest possible aluminum walls (thickness of surrounding housing)and battery placed else where, I have ample room for what I am doing.

My biggest issue is the software part. Where do I begin. How do I make my own program. (See AGENT Smartwatch)

4. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    To program this from scratch is a HUGE project for an experienced programmer. I would suggest that you start with something a lot simpler.

Bob

5. designerguy1

designerguy1

Jul 1, 2013
    What would be a good starting point?

6. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    Learn how to program. I would suggest that you start with C programming on a PC.

You do realize that Apple, with all of its resources, has been working on this for years? Do you expect to be able to match what they come up with?

Bob

7. Solidus

Solidus

Jun 19, 2011
    It is extremely unlikely you'll be able to do it in that size setup, regardless of knowing how to program it. You would need a jack setup, connection, board, as well as probably a 32-bit processor. These are achievable things in a larger form factor but at .2" depth next to impossible.

If you decide to redo the enclosure or implementation, I suggest you look into the Atmel AVR32 series of embedded microcontrollers. They have on-board DACs (digital-to-analog converters) that can digitally process audio. There are also many manufacturers that make TFT touchscreens readily available to experimenters.

If you decide to go down that route, I can help you with the design as I've worked on embedded implementations of those chipsets myself. I can't teach you from the ground up - you will have to do a lot of homework yourself, but I can share with you schematics, designs, show you the basics, and be a reference.

Ask a Question