Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Standard equipment for beginners

Koen

Dec 21, 2015
So starting with electronics there are things i probably need and do not have.
What are things a beginner definitely needs in his tool kit?

Soldering iron without a doubt, some pliers, tweezers but what else?
Its time to do some shopping so i would like to make a nice list so i can make my wife happy when i tell her how much i spended :p

dorke

Jun 20, 2015
The thing every beginner needs most is Electronics Education
I can recommend the book Make:Electronics by Platt 2nd Ed. 2015
there are "free" PDFs on the web...

I would recommend not staring at the soldering method.
Instead start with a breadborad

At the minimum you would need a DMM start with the cheapest one
and the breadbord ,connecting wires,and devices.

After you "pass" this stage you can go on to more "advanced" things ,
soldering included.;)

Last edited:

Koen

Dec 21, 2015
DMM is something i also have (just needs new battery :p )
at the moment i am following a small course basic electronics online (with a coach)

Katie Wuensch

Jun 5, 2014
I would recommend investing in a temperature controlled soldering iron. Not just the cheapest one you can find. You will always know exactly what temperature the tip is at, which in turn gives your soldering tips a longer life. Other things I would recommend would be some spare soldering tips, a cleaning sponge or wire cleaner (one of these usually come with most stations), clips to hold any wires you are working on (they are usually called third hands or helping hands) and wire handling tools like a pair of wire cutters and wire strippers. Flux is also key, if that isn't already on your list or resin core solder that already has flux in it. If you are doing a lot of soldering, I would also recommend some sort of smoke absorber, since the smoke from the solder is toxic and can have adverse effects on your body if inhaled to frequently.

You may also want to read up on soldering basics like tinning you soldering tip. I found this article online that was helpful for me.

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
Often used tools in my kit is needle nose pliers, sharp wire snips (small), Range of small screwdrivers, wire strippers, other handy items now or later is magnifying glass, dental picks, magnetic wand, bench vise (panavise) , 6" hacksaw.
M.

jarvis2.0

Apr 29, 2015
Some rolls of 22 gauge wire and electrical tape, wire strippers, needle-nose pliers, multi-meter, magnets, small screwdrivers, "helping hands" preferably with magnifying glass and soldering iron stand attached, wire cutters, robo-grip, rubber bands, safety glasses, and duct tape. Lots of duct tape.

Sadlercomfort

Ash
Feb 9, 2013
A small pot of soldering iron tip cleaner/tinner. Wish I started out with this.

Greatly increases the life of your soldering iron. Therefore making soldering much easier.

I also wish i started out with Vero Boards, really easy to work with when prototyping.