Connect with us

Stacking PCB's

Discussion in 'Electronic Basics' started by Chris W, Feb 26, 2005.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Chris W

    Chris W Guest

    I am looking for some kind of connector that will let me stack several
    of the same PCB on top of each other. Something that will have pins
    sticking out the bottom and sockets directly on top so if I had 2 of the
    same board they would just plug into each other. Do they make
    connectors like that? I have seen socket headers that look like they
    would work if only the pins were a little longer. Anyone here know of
    somewhere I can buy something like that?

    Chris W

    Gift Giving Made Easy
    Get the gifts you want &
    give the gifts they want
  2. Samtec makes lots of stacking connectors. Check their website.
  3. John Larkin

    John Larkin Guest


  4. Chris W

    Chris W Guest

    I can't seem to find what I am looking for there. I saw plenty of
    connectors to stack and solder boards. What I am looking for is a
    plug/pin combination so I can solder it to each board then plug and
    unplug boards on top of each other. In other words, a non permanent
    stacking connector. They may have it there but I did a fairly extensive
    systematic search of the .100 connectors and didn't see anything.

    Chris W

    Gift Giving Made Easy
    Get the gifts you want &
    give the gifts they want
  5. Chris W

    Chris W Guest

    I'm not sure I made myself clear. I don't want to stack just 2 boards
    but 3 or 4 or 5 or however many, and I want all of those boards to be
    exactly the same and the connections to be plug and unplugable.

    Chris W

    Gift Giving Made Easy
    Get the gifts you want &
    give the gifts they want
  6. Samtec makes several types of connectors to plug circuit boards
    together. If you want to stack a bunch of cards in any order you put
    matching sets on the boards. Male on one side and female on the other.
    Their connectors are very good, I used them while working at L3 on their
    RCB-2000 telemetry system in engineering and on the production floor.

    Our boards had to stack in one order only, but some of the signals
    went through the board to another set of connectors. You can even order
    a custom length if you need to. I'm sorry I don't have any part
    numbers. They moved the plant out of state and I don't have any
    contacts there anymore.
  7. Gareth

    Gareth Guest

    As others have said, Samtec make connectors which can do this. Just put
    a male connector on one side of each board, and the corresponding female
    connector on the other side. E.g SFM on the top and TFM on the bottom

    See also:

    Obviously, it will easier with surface mount connectors, since the
    through hole parts cannot be placed directly opposite each other.


  8. Bob Masta

    Bob Masta Guest

    Chris, you may want to look for the connector system used
    with PC104 boards. These are essentially reconfigured
    ISA bus computer boards that are made to stack just as
    you requested. The typical installation is an embedded
    processor, where the CPU is on a little mother board, and
    if you want to add (say) an A/D converter board you just
    plug it on top. Any other options, you just keep stacking
    them up.

    Hope this helps!

    Bob Masta

    D A Q A R T A
    Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis
  9. Chris W

    Chris W Guest

    That is almost exactly what I am looking for. I want 2 single row 16
    pin connectors but a single 4 row should work fin too, I will just need
    to put standoffs at the other corners of the board. Thanks!

    Chris W

    Gift Giving Made Easy
    Get the gifts you want &
    give the gifts they want
  10. Chris W

    Chris W Guest

    That was the good news. The bad news is I can't find anywhere to buy
    them with out getting a minimum of $50 worth of them.

    Chris W

    Gift Giving Made Easy
    Get the gifts you want &
    give the gifts they want
  11. Harold Ryan

    Harold Ryan Guest

    For thruhole boards, this would not be possible. Can't solder the connector
    to the board. However, for surface mount, just use any male/female connector
    pair. This will have an alignment issue.
  12. Clarence_A

    Clarence_A Guest

    Top Poster --- PLONK!

  13. Then PC-104 products must not exist since they use exactly this type of
  14. Rich Grise

    Rich Grise Guest

    Even ordinary wire-wrap IC sockets will work - I did that once with a
    daughterboard. Don't use the machined-pin kind - use sockets that will
    take a .025" pin.

  15. Harold Ryan

    Harold Ryan Guest

    I believe a tool is required to press the connector into the board. Is that
    correct?. The solder type of connector is not stackable.
  16. Sorry to burst your bubble Harold, but I just installed several sets of stacking
    connectors by soldering them onto a boards Friday.

    Here is the Samtec catalog pages for the connectors we use -

    To solder them with an iron, you push the long square tails through the board
    holes from the top side of the board until the socket bottoms against the board
    and solder the pins down next to the board on the backside. If you are using
    the three row SSQs, hand soldering the center row of pins is difficult but it
    can be done. For reflow soldering, you put solder preforms on the connector
    pins (or buy connectors with preforms already installed), push the connector all
    the way down on the board and reflow using hot air.
  17. Fred Abse

    Fred Abse Guest

    Plonker - <PLONK>
  18. Harold Ryan

    Harold Ryan Guest

    Thanks James
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day