Connect with us

Square wave input, PWM output?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by rsajan1, Apr 1, 2011.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. rsajan1


    Nov 3, 2009
    Hi folks,

    I'm trying to find an IC or simple circuit that gives a pulse width modulated signal for a DC voltage input. For example, the input to this would be a square wave alterating between 0 and 5V. When the input is 0V, the output is 0V but when the input is 5V, the output should be a 0-5V square wave with a controllable frequency.

    The input comes from a comparator, maybe there are comparator ICs that have this as an in-built function? I cant seem to find any.

  2. rob_croxford


    Aug 3, 2010
    Do you want to vary the Frequency or the Duty cycle?? PWM is generally a variance in duty cycle to control the gate pin of a swtiching device, for instance. Or it can be used to vary the direction of a servo motor...

    What is your application?
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  3. Iron Will

    Iron Will

    Jun 11, 2012
  4. BobK


    Jan 5, 2010
    This is contradictory. An input cannot be a DC voltage AND a square wave.

Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day