Connect with us

Square wave generator

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by galveston, Mar 26, 2009.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. galveston

galveston

Mar 26, 2009
    I am an electronics dummy who needs to build a square wave generator.
    I have a schematic that I think I can build BUT there are 2 components that I can't identify, so can't buy.

One is a triangle symbol (LM741) that has pins (?) nubered 2,3,4,6,7. (no 1 or 5) This is part of a throttle array that feeds into pin 5 of (NE555).

The other is shown as a circle with 2 parallel lines, one shorter. The short line receives a pulse wave from a mosfet (TC4420CPA) pin #6. The long line shows a wire leading from each end. One goes to an electrode and the other to a ground. Near this circle I see (ifrs 10) or maybe that's (1frs 10) and beneath this (tr 3). There is a number 5 near the circle and the word mosfet.

The guys at the electronics supply house couldn't identify this item.

Any and all help greatly appreciated.

2. sirkituk

sirkituk

Mar 27, 2009
    LM741 is an operational amplifier (op amp)
    The other component is a mosfet transistor (tr5)
    Sir-kit Electronics

3. galveston

galveston

Mar 26, 2009
    Thanks.
    I have 2 more questions. What is a mosfet driver TC4420CPA? Is that a transistor also?

I tried to find some of these components on line and have run into a wall. One place wants WAY more info than I have to even find a part #. Can you reccommend a site to order from? Most of the things I need are basic resistors and capacitors, dip switches & not gates.

4. sirkituk

sirkituk

Mar 27, 2009
  5. galveston

galveston

Mar 26, 2009
    Thanks for the replies.
    I have been reading everything I can find on the subject, and now have some more questions.
    I built an electrode (225 sq in. of .040 gap). In tap water and hooked to a 12V auto battery, it draws about 80A and will boil water in 3 seconds flat. Obviously that is too many amps, so I think I need to use a step-up transformer or maybe a flyback to boost the volts and reduce the amps to a workable level. Since the electrode in water acts as a capacitor, would it be possible to simply fire a step-up transformer with a schmitt trigger to get a high voltage pulsed current in the electrode?

Ask a Question