Maker Pro
Maker Pro

SPST Switches to Override RGB Remote Controller

new11

May 5, 2021
Hi guys,
I hope you’re all going great.
I’m working on a little personal project right now and was wondering if I might be able to grab people opinions or ideas.

What I’m trying to achieve is being able to control a 12v RGB LED strip using both a remote controller and a couple of manual switches.

Simply, being able to control the LEDs with the remote, but then be able to override the remote and control the LEDs with a couple of SPST, DPST switches. EG; Blue is activated using the remote, but then a SPST switch is flipped overriding the remote changing the colour to Red.

I am able to control the LEDs using only the switches by; running one of the RGB wires to one pole and the other pole to ground, while connecting the 12v source to the 12v of the LED strip. (a single example for the colour blue is below)
upload_2021-7-29_14-7-28.png
I just can’t seem to get both the switches and the RGB remote controller to work together.

It might be something obvious I’m missing but would really love some feedback on how I might be able to have it so the switches override the controller remote.

Many thanks in advance for any assistance provided.
Ps. Apologies If I’ve left out any important information. I tried to add everything I could think of.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
This is waht a typical RGB strip and controller looks like:
upload_2021-7-29_18-46-41.png
You can bypass the internal MOSFETs by external switches. But that will allow you to turn on any color only, not to turn one color off which if the associated MOSFET is on. To do that, you will need additional switches in series with the MOSFETS's drain to interrupt the connection between MOSFET and LED.
But for an effect as you describe it
Blue is activated using the remote, but then a SPST switch is flipped overriding the remote changing the colour to Red.
that will require to turn off blue and to turn on red, i.e. you'll have to activate 2 switches. Or you could, for some defined configurations, use a changeover switch and connect the red LEDs to the blue output of the controller. Manageable for this simple case. But if you want to consider multiple cases, e.g. blue -> green or red - blue and green-red etc. or simply turn on any color regardless of the state of the controller box, your switch setup will rapidly become rather complex and hard to manage.

new11

May 5, 2021
Hi Harald,
Sorry for the radio silence!
Thank you very much for the in-depth answer! I'm liking the simplicity of you're first suggestion so I think that's what I'll be doing.
Unfortunately, I've misplaced the IR remote for the controller. So I'm going to have to shelf this little project until it turns up.

Thanks for the reply though!