Connect with us

SPICE model switched flyback transformer

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by mn1247, Sep 22, 2013.

1. mn1247

mn1247

Sep 22, 2013
    I'm struggling to find a suitable SPICE model for a transformer. The transformer in question is a flyback to be used in a high voltage (15 KV) switched power supply. The operating frequency is roughly 20-40 kHz.

I need to have a model that I can use to make physical measurements on the transformer and then use these in LTSPICE. I'm pretty sure the operating frequency is in the vicinity of resonance, so I probably can't ignore capacitance.

Can anyone point me to a suitable model with some advice on how to make the measurements?

Thanks
    Eric

2. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    Modeling a transformer is a tricky thing. There are a lot of parameters to take into account, including parasitics. If you use a commercial transformer, you may be lucky and get a model from the manufacturer, If, however, and as is common for transformers, you design your own transformer, you will have to create your own model. Read this discussion on how to model a transformer in LTSPICE. It is by Mike Engelhardt, the developer of LTSPICE and surely the most competent person on that topic.

Ask a Question