Connect with us

Speed controller for valves

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by downtime89, Feb 14, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. downtime89

downtime89

Feb 14, 2012
    Hey guys this is my first post here, i found this site on google, I am trying to make a system for a aquarium, but in a nut shell what i want to do is to control to electronic sprinkler valves (from home depot $13) But what i want to be able to do with them is have one open and one closed at all time, but i want them to be switching back and forth at a adjustable rate (say anywere between say 5 seconds and 5 minutes or so) How can i build a power supply that i can adjust the speed to do this? I would prefer it to be as simple as possible.

2. downtime89

downtime89

Feb 14, 2012
    I think what i need to do (correct me if i am wrong) is get a 120v 5pin relay and make valves connect to pins 3 and 4. But how do i make a adjustable power supply that "flickers" to make the relay switch back and forth at speeds that i choose?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  3. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
  4. twister

twister

Feb 12, 2012
    Don't they make valves that work off of low voltage DC? I think that would be a lot safer! Electricity and water don't mix well. If you insist on using 120 volts, a triac might be an easier and better solution than a relay.
    A flip flop sound like it would work for your circuit. A flip flop has a trigger and two outputs and it switches back and forth between them at each trigger. A mosfet transistor could could control a 12V valve. You could trigger the flip flop with a 555.

5. downtime89

downtime89

Feb 14, 2012
    ok i was wrong the valve is 24vac. So will the 555 and that mosfet still work? reading on that link now.

6. twister

twister

Feb 12, 2012
    Are you sure it's AC? A mosfet won't work on AC. You will need a triac. Do a search for 555 and also flip flops and triacs.

7. twister

twister

Feb 12, 2012
    Now that I think about it, perhaps a relay is your best choice. Just trigger it with a 555.
    Do a search for 555 circuits.

8. downtime89

downtime89

Feb 14, 2012
  9. downtime89

downtime89

Feb 14, 2012
    I think the first is better, it even says sprinkers but here is why this is what it says for

--------- Interval timer = As long as the button is pushed, the load will remain on during delay1*, and turned off during delay2*-------------

So what i could do is say set delay 1 for how ever long i want valves open for say 15 seconds at most then delay two for 2 seconds (mininum time the valve operates)

This sound right? i would prefer the time to be less as this is going to be hooked up to a 1k gph pump and i dont know how that preasure is going to be on it for that brief time period.

Ask a Question