Connect with us

Speakers, woofers, subwoofers..

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Anish, Feb 6, 2011.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Anish


    Feb 5, 2011
    Hi all,
    Its obvious from the title..what those terms mean and what are the difference between them.. I googled and studied but cannot get satisfactory answers..or i could'nt understand.Hope you guys will help me..
  2. davenn

    davenn Moderator

    Sep 5, 2009
    show us one of the explanations you read and what part you didnt understand :)
    see if we can guide you from there

    hint, both woofer and subwoofer are types of speakers

  3. Nanoamps


    Feb 14, 2011
    I'm a few days late Claw, but I throw a few brief descriptions:
    A speaker is a device which converts electrical impulses into actual audible sound.
    There are many types of speakers, including woofers and subwoofers.

    Tweeters are speakers that reproduce high frequencies.
    Woofers are speakers that reproduce primarily low frequencies.
    A Sub-Woofer is a speaker that exclusively reproduces low frequencies, and often sub-sonic frequencies (low beyond human hearing).
    Mid-Range (Mids) are speakers that cover the range of frequencies between the Tweeters and the Woofers.
    Most stereos or sound systems employ at least two, often three of these speaker types into one speaker box so that one speaker cabinet can deliver a reasonably "full" coverage of all audible frequencies.
    Surround sound systems often follow a somewhat newer approach where virtually all of the low frequencies are delivered by one, single, central "SubWoofer" which sits alone in its own speaker cabinet.

Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day