Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Speakers/Subwoofer

Buzzol

Jun 15, 2021
Hello !

Recently I've been digging through some old equipment that I have and I came across my 'old' speaker set with a subwoofer 'Hercules XPS 101', which I receive as a gift approximately 6-7 years ago. I've been actively using those speakers for around 2.5 years, after which sound from the speakers, including the subwoofer disappeared, since I was quite unexperienced back then I wasn't bothering much about it, so I decided to just stash it aside until MAYBE one day I come back to it, as you can guess that day came for me!. In the meanwhile I never received any experience in audio/stereo equipment, but I guess I can say that I understand electronics pretty well, as well as the circuit boards at this point. So after reopening the subwoofer once again and closely examining if there is a burned part on the circuit board ( to places that were easily accessible with the eye) there hasn't been any obvious damage to the board. After reconnecting the equipment back to PC, sound still does not come out of speakers nor subwoofer, in fact both speakers have huge static noise and one of the speakers has sound but it appears as its really 'far' away and even at max volume it needs to be placed directly on ear to be hearable. Any advices would be helpful, since it was a gift from my brother long time ago I'd actually like to fix it and try to enjoy it once again (cause its been a while since I heard a sound as beautiful as it was from these speakers !).

P.S just figured there is a special chanell for Repairs, so please move my threat there, thank you !

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Possible cause may be defect electrolytic capacitors. Check for swollen or leaking ones.
You may upload photos (<300 kB) so our members can have a look at the pcbs.

Buzzol

Jun 15, 2021
Possible cause may be defect electrolytic capacitors. Check for swollen or leaking ones.
You may upload photos (<300 kB) so our members can have a look at the pcbs.

Rechecked them all, and took off heat sinks and such in order to explore the rest, this is what I found, I assume this would be leakage from the capacitors?
200180007_391484858871345_4435106824416892138_n.jpg 200187078_920796955444115_2792007132975463863_n.jpg 200738371_813131819596711_3005868653414409071_n.jpg

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Nope. . . . .that's just being " hold down" adhesive that was sort of hap-hazardly slopped on by the manufacturer , back at assembly time.

Buzzol

Jun 15, 2021

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
It sure looks faulty. The others not being swollen doesn't necessarily mean they are good. They are the same age and the same quality. While you're at it, you could swap all of them for new ones. At least the big ones.
You need ones with the same capacity in µF and the same or higher voltage rating. Also pin pitch should match (though you can bend the pins to fit them to the existing holes). Body size doesn't matter. New ones will likely be smaller.

Also remember to apply fresh thermal paste before you add the heatsinks back.

Buzzol

Jun 15, 2021
It sure looks faulty. The others not being swollen doesn't necessarily mean they are good. They are the same age and the same quality. While you're at it, you could swap all of them for new ones. At least the big ones.
You need ones with the same capacity in µF and the same or higher voltage rating. Also pin pitch should match (though you can bend the pins to fit them to the existing holes). Body size doesn't matter. New ones will likely be smaller.

Ok, I will get my hands on new ones and once I do I'll replace the big ones. I will try to reconnect the speakers back on and see what happens then. Gonna keep you posted after I do so and if it is going to make any changes ! Thanks for all the replies so far

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Those two E-caps are for that large power I.C.'s negative and positive power supply.
A progressive degree of failure of either of them would cause a proportional HUMMM to come thru the speakers and trying the volume control would be unable to quench it.

A total or significant loss of either supply voltage could cause the weak sound that you mentioned.
What is the part number on the now naked large AUDIO POWER IC ?
If you can reassemble and get all plugged in and still be able to have test meter access to those two sets of 4 diodes in front of the caps, I can give a test procedure.

Buzzol

Jun 15, 2021
Those two E-caps are for that large power I.C.'s negative and positive power supply.
A progressive degree of failure of either of them would cause a proportional HUMMM to come thru the speakers and trying the volume control would be unable to quench it.

A total or significant loss of either supply voltage could cause the weak sound that you mentioned.
What is the part number on the now naked large AUDIO POWER IC ?
If you can reassemble and get all plugged in and still be able to have test meter access to those two sets of 4 diodes in front of the caps, I can give a test procedure.

The 2 IC's covered in thermal paste are TDA7293, also I am able to reassemble everything back up and have it plugged in while testing with multimeter, so please guide me through test procedure if its not a problem !

WHONOES

May 20, 2017
Check the the "Mute" and "Standby" voltages on pins 9 and 10. They need to be above 3.5V for the amps to function any lower and it they will not. There will be a switch or similar somewhere on your equipment to control same.

Buzzol

Jun 15, 2021

After I finally recieved same value capacitors as the ones that looked 'faulty' I replaced them in exact same order (even used pictures to make 100% sure I am not connecting it vice-versa) after connecting it back in to electricity after around 15 seconds of being on, one of the new capacitors just blew up and I am quite unsure what the reason could be cause I bought the exact same values as the old ones and connected it in a exact same way as it was before. It was a capacitor above the 'faulty' one as shown in picture above, so it wasn't the same spot capacitor gone bad.

Check the the "Mute" and "Standby" voltages on pins 9 and 10. They need to be above 3.5V for the amps to function any lower and it they will not. There will be a switch or similar somewhere on your equipment to control same.
I'll definetly check once I can manage to run the board without any complications

Last edited:

WHONOES

May 20, 2017
Reasons for Electrolytic Capacitors blowing up are often reverse polarity (connected the wrong way round). Failure is usually fairly prompt in this instance. Another reason is if the rated voltage of the Cap' is significantly below the power supply voltage. In this instance failure can take much longer. Another is poor quality Chinese parts. Ripple current rating could also play a part.